How often do you check your traps?

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by gobblergetter, Dec 15, 2009.

1. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    I'm thinking about starting coyote trapping but have never done it. I was gonna buy a dozen or so and set them but I work 5 1/2 days a week and won't be able to check them until Sun each week. Is 6 days too long to leave them out w/o checking them?

2. BGTURKEYHUNTER

BGTURKEYHUNTER 6 pointer

Mar 3, 2004
    Alvaton, ky, USA.
    State law requires you check them once every 24 hrs. You should get a current hunting and trapping guide before you start. Trapping has several regulations including sizes of traps for land sets versus sizes for water sets, how close together the traps are, etc. Im just starting and there is alot to learn.

3. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    whoops. I had no clue there were that many regulations other than season dates. It was just a thought in my head to get rid of the pesky yotes. I heard at least 4 rabbits squealing before day light while sitting in the deer stand this year and have found tons of evidence of rabbit/coyote kills. I may stick with hunting them instead of trapping.

4. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    gobbler trappin is a fun an rewarding hobby more so back in the day where it was a 3rd income if you ran a pretty big trap line

i have yet to hear a rabbit squeal unless i caught one while my grad daddy was mowing hay and we'd catch them and move them out of harms way

FUR Fish & Game is a awesome magazine try to pick you up a few you wont be dissappointed

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  5. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    FUR Fish & Game is a awesome magazine try to pick you up a few you wont be dissappointed[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. I used to be ate up with it when I was a kid!

6. BGTURKEYHUNTER

BGTURKEYHUNTER 6 pointer

Mar 3, 2004
    Alvaton, ky, USA.
    Gobblergetter, Im not trying to discourage you from trapping. I just started Saturday with a KDFW workshop and had a blast. Just didnt want you to get too much invested before you checked out the Regulations. I will 3rd the Fur Fish and Game as being a great place for information.

7. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky

I can see where trapping would be a headache for some folks as far as scheduling. If I were in your shoes I'd still give it a whirl, get a half dozen traps and a few lures and set them out saturday and take em sunday. It's a whole different concept than hunting.

8. screamin6x6

screamin6x6 BBBC Members

Scott's right on. I only have 8 sets out right now with the elk guiding going on but I still look forward to checking them during the mid-day breaks.;)

9. erwin1

erwin1 10 pointer

Nov 6, 2008
    lewis co
    you can always check them before or after work

10. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Check them in the dark...