How much longer is this boom going to last?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cedar creek, Aug 1, 2019.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Google says no. Only on real estate.

The term 1031 Exchange is defined under section 1031 of the IRS Code. (1) To put it simply, this strategy allows an investor to “defer” paying capital gains taxes on an investment property when it is sold, as long another “like-kind property” is purchased with the profit gained by the sale of the first property.Mar 28, 2019

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Pretty sure it must be “real property” and mutual funds (personal property) would not constitute. I’m not smart enough for this stuff

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yep, that's the way I interpret it as well. Would have to re-invest in a money market, or some other "safe" stock to avoid paying capital gains.

4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I did that in 08 and just now back where I was due to several big dips in the last few years..

I can't tell you to do the same, I would talk to a financial advisor.

" the investment advisor field is essentially divided into two types: the fee-based (or fee-only) and the commission-based. The former charges a flat rate (or "à la carte" rate) for their services; the latter is compensated by commissions on financial transactions or products"

Some say ride it out but depending on your age that isn't always the best idea.

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Land is a better investment then the market..

When I cashed out in 08 I paid of house , land in TN, student loans got rid of all debt and bought some gold and silver..

I don't think you can go wrong buying land , they ain't making anymore..

Brody likes this.
  6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Our agent earns on percentage, so our success is in his best interest... His philosophy is somewhat conservative, which I like at our age. He typically under-performs a strong market, but over-performs a weak market. He knows we are within a few years of retirement, so he is in protection mode for us. I can't complain about the job he's done for us the last 15 years....

ojibwa62 likes this.
  7. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    I think we're nearing the end of this ride. The Fed knows it which is why rates were cut for the first time since 2008. I'm certainly no expert but things have been too good too long.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  8. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I dont believe this market is a bubble.

barney likes this.
  9. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    You can put real estate in an IRA but there are some rules and you need to find a trustee/administrator that does that.

10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    My advise and I am not a financial advisor, is be like the ant not like the grasshopper.

11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Every market is a bubble to some extent. Long term gains should be the goal of every investor IMO.

If it’s not a designated retirement account, the only taxes would be on the capital gains.

IMO, a lot of factors determine whether you should cash out or not, and the possibility of the market crashing should not be one of them. Age, financial position, and whether or not you have a designation beyond your savings account should all be considered.

12. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Let me clarify also. IMO, there is a difference in building wealth in the market, and making money in the market. When I say long term gains should be the goal of every investor, I'm talking about building wealth. A lot of people, including some on here, make money, a lot of money, in that same market. That' s awesome for them, but it's a different game than investing for retirement, or long term wealth building. Not my personal cup of tea, but to each their own.

bondhu, ojibwa62 and EdLongshanks like this.
  13. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I've been out of the market for a while.....big dips are coming. Who knows when. Could be related to anything...natural disaster..politics..you name it.

Market is the only thing in the world people dont want to buy on sale.

14. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    You all are pretty knowledgeable in n this subject, how much percent is capital gains tax? Boy they know how to get ya any witch way ya go lol

15. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Anytime I thought we were at the top, I would switch from the market to a bond fund. I wouldn't make much , but I never lost, and once I thought the market was solid, I would just switch back. The economy is still pretty hot, with this rate cut and the other one that will come, I would watch for the government to go all in on a infrastructure bill, coupled with a Trump 2020 win, you would be good for a few more years. If the blue team gets in, sell, take the tax hit and buy bullets, beans and gold & silver.