How many times has this "doe suprise" happened to you!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rustyspinner21, Nov 15, 2010.

1. rustyspinner21

rustyspinner21 Spike

Nov 11, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    I don't have any desire to shoot a buck unless 12 pointer or so, to make taxidermy price worth it. So, this morning I passed on a 8 pointer, who was out checking/refreshing his scrapes. I love doe meat, and my wife hates buckmeat. A very nice "doe" came along 30 minutes after the buck sighting so I shot it. All excited cause I promised my wife doemeat. Walk up to downed deer and I see 1 and 1/2 inches of antler. Looks like he was a 2/4 pointer that had both antlers broke off an inch and a half above the skinline. Had to telecheck it as antlered, and don't think I can lie to my wife and call it a doe. Has this suprise happened to most of you once or more???

2. CREED

CREED 6 pointer

Nov 29, 2008
    Hardin Co.
    Had tons of suprises like that working the weigh station at Knox, you wouldn't believe the amount of people we have had shoot the antlers off or break them off to try and save their buck tag.......their ignorance is almost comical sometimes. I did waste my buck tag on a spike about the same as you described one year. For that reason, I rarely gun hunt anymore and ALWAYS use good binos now, even when bowhunting. I have gotten to the point that I feel like I can't hunt without them, it was definately a hard lesson learned!

3. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    Shot a doe with 1/2 inch spikes one time, had testicles too... I didn't mind since it was late muzzle loader and I had a buck tag but still. Your wife must have a good sense of taste. The way we clean ours you can't tell any difference in a 2 year old doe and a 6 year old buck.

4. Homelessjosh

Homelessjosh 6 pointer

May 3, 2010
    I did that one time, rolled the deer over to field dress it and was like "wait...What?!"

5. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Shot a couple button bucks before,truly accidental though.

6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    heard a deer running down the ridge toward me Sunday morning. A doe burst out of the woods, followed closely by another "doe". I kept watching for the buck chasing them when they ran on either side of my box blind. I looked out the front window at the second "doe" and noticed 1 inch antlers lying flat along his head. Had missed them completely at 40 yards when he came out. Glad I wasn't doe hunting

7. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    One of the hunters in our group had the same surprise saturday. I'm with Creed.......good binos are a must, and I bow hunt. I like to know what's coming in long before it gets into bow range.

8. Shot one several years ago that had only 1/4 of "polished antler" that had just broke the buttons.

9. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    So is there still a 4" or less rule or if there is any bone showing besides a button, you have your buck tag filled?

10. hootowlman

hootowlman 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2007
    There used to be a 4" rule in Ky that if the antlers are under 4" it could be checked as a doe Or 4" or over before it could be considered a buck. But now it has been changed to "ANY" visible polished antler is considered a buck and you must use your buck tag.

11. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Happened to me as well a couple of time. I learned that young "Button" Bucks have a pronounced white ring around their muzzle & young Doe don't have that extra whiteness around their muzzle.

12. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Shot a button once. Was still antlerless but I hated to see it when I walked up on it. Few years back I stalked a doe in a cedar thicket late in the season. Took me about an hour to get a window for a shot. Turns out there was a spike with her I didn't know about. Oops. Burnt the buck tag but made for a dang big doe. ;)

BTW: Anyone ever shoot one by honest accident after tagging their buck? Wonder how the CO would handle it if you did the right thing and notified him.

13. top_sgt

top_sgt 6 pointer

Jul 10, 2007
    lexington, ky
    had a "doe" in my sights in the pioneer weapons area this year... "she turned her" head, saw something on its head.....3" spikes!!! i did not fire the arrow at that point!! watched him walk!!

also....at the bottom of page 21 of the hunting guide states: a person may take no more than one (1) deer with visible
    antlers (excluding button bucks). saw nothing about the 4" rule!!

14. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    I shot a big "doe" late in the archery season and when I trailed it up I saw a spot on it's head. I thought it was just a skined place or something but when I raised a leg up to begin field dressing the water cleared right up, so to speak.