how many nights a year do you spend away from home for work??

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by 1wildcatfan, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Kinda figured that

2. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Dang. Hadn’t thought of your situation. That’s a lot.

I’ve heard of professional contract pilots that take Middle East jobs that require they be gone for a couple years or more depending on the contract. Met a few of those guys in my travels, and I’d say it takes a special kind of person to do it, single or not, as does your job. Not saying this is you, but some of those guys for various reasons get addicted to the road. Hotel every night, paid for meals at restaurants etc.

Capttrae likes this.
  3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Yea I’ve tried coming off boats twice in 20+ years, it never works out. Too much down time and honestly not sure how to really act in a normal setting

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    have any idea the crew schedule on the mega big container ships?

5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    It depends on the crewman and the voyage. Most that I’ve known work an even time sechdule. They may pull 90 then off 90

6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
  7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Not sure if it is still that way or not but used to be a man could get a job on the towboats on the Ohio and Mississippi river where you worked 30 on and 30 off. I got offered the job right after I got out of the USAF but just was not for me at the time.

8. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    A lot of the inland guys work 30/30

9. 26 years 5 to 6 days a week,home on weekends,anybody can find a good paying job,if you travel,but welfare people want none of that,lazy

10. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I don't spend nights away but I've worked swing shift most my working life. You still miss out a lot of family time because you work half the weekends every year plus on nights half the time. Missed countless holidays and ball games. Im still married to my first wife though...Im one of the few I work with.

carnivore and Capttrae like this.
  11. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Don’t see how some of you guys stay away from home on a job so much. I would have a hard time being away from my family that much. I normally am away a few weeks every year. I’ve worked Lots of different shifts thru the years but that’s different than traveling off for work like some are doing.

12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    It’s just like anything else, you get used to it. For me and my son it’s all we’ve ever known

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    It’s just the way it’s always been. When my wife and I were dating, I told her my schedule would always be in flux, and planning anything for “after work”, when we don’t really know when that is, would be a frustrating experience if we weren’t flexible.

Sure, it’s been hard sometimes, especially when the kids were little, when she’s stuck at home with two sick little kids, and I’m a 1000 miles away eating out at a nice restaurant with someone else footing the bill. Like anything else in marriage, we’ve dealt with the tough times and moved on to the good. I get it doesn’t always work out that way with some couples, and that’s unfortunate.

littlebear and Capttrae like this.
  14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yeah divorce was bad where I worked the crazy swing shifts. It did get easyer as our kids got older and both of us worked. Wife worked straight days 9 to 5 most of the time as a Personnel Manager for some large company's. She was the first person I ever heard the words Headhunter from meaning she would get calls from this or that company wanting to hire her. And always talk to me about changing job's before she took another position. I was lucky in some ways that my days off changed from time to time and I could do stuff during the week after school with our girls while she was at work.

WildmanWilson likes this.
  15. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Railroader. I’m able to hold a preferred turn now (21 years) & spend every 3rd night at the dorm. I’ve never added it up but working general pool turn could easily be 100-150 stays a year.