How many hunters are still trying to get it done

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KnoxCoDeerHunter, Nov 15, 2007.

1. KnoxCoDeerHunter

KnoxCoDeerHunter 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2006
    Knox County
    After seeing all these awesome bucks being taken, Is still pushing me out of the bed everyday. Ive hunted every day since saturday, plus working third shifts, and its starting to get to me. But im still laying in the woods trying to put a good buck in my sights. Seen a really good buck saturday morning, without a shot, and every since that ive not seen a buck. Still seeing 6-10 does a day but no bucks. Ive tried everything I know to bring one in. Scent bombs with tinks 69 doe in rut, grunt calls, primos buck roar, rattle bag, you name it. So maybe this weekend will bring me some luck before monday. Dont get off work til 7am and back to work at 3pm today. So ill hit it again saturday morning. But if the weekend doesnt bring us hunters any luck, we still got bow season and another black powder in about 2 weeks, So lets not give up yet.

2. HillBillyFiveO

HillBillyFiveO 8 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Newport, KY
    Brother, I'm with ya. My wife got two on Saturday and I ain't even had a shot at one yet. :( Maybe Saturday, as well. Good luck to ya!

Floyd T.

3. Dennis

Dennis 8 pointer

Oct 24, 2004
    vine grove ,kentucky
    Yesterday,
    i placed 3 of the tinks scent bombs out about 10 yds apart..the wind blew hard till around 5:00 as soon as it died down , out come a 9 pt. stopped within 3 yds of one of the scent bombs and started rubbing a tree. Dropped him in his tracks. :D The wind was blowing in his direction .

4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I tried that last weekend but a spike walked by and didn't act like he smelled anything. Then at dark two yearling does came in and stood around with a "What the heck is that smell" look on their face.

I hope tomorrow is different. I'm manning the camera for my son so maybe a big one will get a whiff and come running. At least most of the leaves were knocked off yesterday.

5. groovy_138

groovy_138 Fawn

Sep 13, 2007
    Perry County
    I am still out there too trying to connect on one. I have seen probably 5 little bucks, but little dont cut it in my book.

6. finelydeerhunting

finelydeerhunting 8 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    Finley, KY
    Still out there. I've passed on several small bucks all year in search of a mature deer. :)

7. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Yep

Yep, I'm with ya! Tag soup for me so far! I have passed on a dozen bucks or more so far with the biggest being a big bodied 8pt with 18" spread but thin horned and short tines.:( Still plenty of time though for the right one to walk by me. ;)

8. rangerman2003

rangerman2003 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2005
    ZONE 1
    Havent gotten and probably wont even get a chance to get out there this year... so good luck to yall

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    The only day I've gun hunted was opening day. However if I can get through work today....I'm off all next week. With the exception of Thanksgiving day.... I'll be in the woods every day starting tommorrow.

The other good thing... no one in my bunch has been huntin our place since last weekend. Hopefully the lack of pressure on our place will play in my favor.

10. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I'm preparing for another weekend tree sitting marathon myself.

The deer sightings on our place have been next to nothing since last Sunday. :( I don't think there have been as many deer seen total this week as what any of the 3 of us saw in a single morning or afternoon last weekend.

I haven't seen much movement on the drive to or from work either but did notice they were moving more this morning.

11. lab

lab I'm not a people person.

I too will be settling in before daylight in the morning and every other morning that I get a chance until I fill my tags or until the end of archery season. Even though deer sightings have seemed to plumit, the fact of not knowing what might walk by while sitting at the house makes me jump up and get out there.

The hunting is only going to get better in my opinion. I believe that the best days to hunt are yet to come.

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

I've seen one small buck...maybe a 6pt... just about every morning this week on my way to work.... within the city limits. The somewhat of a "food plot" there at MSU's north farm complex by the creek is getting a lot of attention by the resident city deer.

13. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I saw two does eating in somebody's yard near Wiswell and Dorn just yesterday afternoon. :D

There was an absolute monster living near my house a couple of months ago. He was being seen by a lot of the construction guys working the new subdivisions that are blowing up all around me so I'm not sure if he's been clipped by one of them already or not. :(

14. I wanted to get up this morning bad but getting in the bed at 2 and then trying to get up at 4 is tough. don't get off work till 1 and it's a 38 minute drive home.

15. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I feel ya, brother.

Went out this morning, finally saw a medium size doe about 9:00. Took a good shot, she dropped. Then, she took off running, but with just her front legs.

And lemme tell ya, this girl must be channeling the spirit of Houdini. I searched the wooded hillside THREE times for her. Did a grid search TWICE on the hill. Nothing.

That hill bottoms out in an old creek bed. She wasn't there. Nor was she up the next hill OR down the one after that. I checked about 2/3rds of 50 acres this morning for her. I wouldn't think she could get over the fences, but she may have.

Of course, she may just be a clumsy girl, and fell on her butt after I took the shot. I'm probably headed to the range later today to check ALL my guns. I've NEVER had this problem before. Three shots so far this year, and not one single deer to show for it. This last one didn't have ANY type of blood trail, nor were there any leaves disturbed like there should've been, had her back been broken the way I thought it was. Perhaps it was just a bad shot....or perhaps there was never really a deer there, and I'm going crazy after seven stinking days without bringing home any meat.

Either way, I still don't have a deer yet. And I'm pissed.