How Many Bird Doggers we got here??

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Ballard County Bounty, Sep 14, 2008.

1. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    who can start a new forum?

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Only the Site Admin.

FWIW, creating a new forum does not increase the traffic or amount of posts. Setting aside a bird dog section will only in part seperate the birg dogs from the beagles and squirrel hunters. Most the folks I know that run bird dogs also are small game hunters of all types.

3. Dyrne

Dyrne Fawn

Sep 20, 2008
    Not sure if this is appropriate given the comments above :). I've been looking for a gsp or possibly setter somewhere around the Lexington area. I've never really hunted any small game other than turkey or squirrel but would really like to try my hand at grouse as well.

I've found one or two possible litters but they are all out of state, reportedly from field lines but seem to look an awful lot like EPs compared to what I'd expect a Shorthair to look like. I'm looking mostly for a larger size, preferably not mostly white, closer working dog with some potential for grouse and general hunting. I'm leaning heavily towards a pointer/setter of some sort rather than a flushing dog. Does anyone know of any local litters?

4. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    There use to be a classified section which could have helped you out, but it has been removed for some reason. The pointy dog guys should be able to point you in the right direction, though.

5. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    I've got 2 setter pups left and my brother has several GSP pups that will be ready next month.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Feel free to PM each other and work out something mutually agreeable.

7. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Saw where S. Pace had a litter of setters for sale. Skip getting a dog with only half of a tail, and get full tailed dog like a setter :D

8. teacher

teacher 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    Flemingsburg, KY
    Ten GSP pups actually, ready in 3 weeks.. Don't forget about the 4 Brittanys still left..:D Feel free to PM me for details..

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    13 days and a wakeup, and I'll be bound for the Northwoods. Where the beer is fresh, the water is clear, and the women are as rugged as the land...

10. Ballard County Bounty

Ballard County Bounty 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2007
    Ballard County
    Now thats funny....I do have a long tailed dog but thats before I knew better ! haha! I got an English Pointer that I love dearly and is an awesome bird dog...However, last long tailed dog I will own! :p

11. Dyrne

Dyrne Fawn

Sep 20, 2008
    Thanks guys I got a lot of great responses. I've been going back and forth on which breed to get for a few months now. Finally narrowed it down to a pointing breed so I guess that's something. Thanks again. I will be sending some PMs shortly.

12. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    7 more days and Im headed north, and about those wisc women, trust me couldn,t have said it any better.:D

13. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    We leave in 6 days for Michigan. Good luck to all on their trips.

14. Ballard County Bounty

Ballard County Bounty 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2007
    Ballard County

I think you will be glad you made that decision. I have hunted with both flushers and pointers. When that dog locks up on point and you can see the fire in his eyes...there aint nothin like it. I have a 4 year old GWP that goes on every duck/goose hunt as well. He loves the duck blind ALMOST as much as he loves the field. If you get a versatile breed with a heavy coat you can use them both in the field and in the duck blind. My Weimer and my GWP hunt both waterfowl and upland. The Weimer doesn't get out in the duck blind during the colder late season but loves the early season. Its funny to watch them too. If a duck falls in cattails or tall marsh grass, they will use their nose to locate it then they will lock up on point standing in belly deep water....Have to relaes them before they will jump in the brush and get it! Pretty cool.