How Many Bird Doggers we got here??

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Ballard County Bounty, Sep 14, 2008.

1. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I am the worst quail shot ever in the history of time on the covey rise. I am good at singles, but awful on the big group. Heck more times then not I never shoot cause I don't know which to shoot.:D

I am lucky on Grouse, and I say luck, because it dang sure isn't skill, but I kill most of the pointed birds that even remotely give me a chance. The guys I hunt with say I shoot like I am starving.

Woodcock IMO are a joke to kill, however they are not a joke when you sit down to eat one of the nasty little things. Heavy on the garlic.

2. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    They crack me up. They go up like little helicopters, get to a certain elevation, and you better watch out , cause that razo-bill snipe might poke your eye out they're so eratic.

3. Ballard County Bounty

Ballard County Bounty 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2007
    Ballard County
    I have only stumbled on to em while quail huntin so when they came up it was a fast shot. Cool little birds. I think they eat like a dove. They are awful red meat...like a house cat!;) Maybe thats why my dogs don't care much about retrieving a woodcock! haha! :D

Is a grouse breast white meat like a quail?

4. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    I have seen grouse land. It pales in comparison to woodcock and quail, but it does happen. Here and in Michigan. Seems to coincide with the early season. In fact, the red-phase I have mounted came from Lewis county and we saw it come down. However, come late season ALL game birds seem to target that 100-plus yard range.

I don't even hunt woodcock in the pines that much. Not the prefered habitat. If your not shooting woodcock from your knees a few times each outing, you're not hunting the right mix of habitat.

Regardless of which bird being hunted, I (we) keep my eyes on them after the flush if the terrain permits. Different hunting patterns equate to different outcomes.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  5. uplandchessies

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Wrap bacon around them and they taste just like dove.

6. Ballard County Bounty

Sep 4, 2007
    Ballard County
    Yea they aint bad eatin if you fix em like a dove....I bet my dog would like em that way!!! haha!

7. uplandchessies

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Out of curiosity, what is a good day on flushes (here or north) on woodcock for those whom say they are easy? How many hours of hunting?

8. uplandchessies

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    MY dog does. Anything still in freezer come summer gets feed to him.

9. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Remind me to come over to your house about mid may!!!!!!!!! lol.....

10. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Grouse are just a big quail in terms of table meat. Better IMO cause you can stuff them whole or put one on the smoker and they are oh so tasty. I personally breast them out and marinate in Italian for 12 hours, throw them on the grill for 5 mins a side and scarf them down.

However, I wouldn't plan my meals around them unless you are wishing to lose a few lbs.:D

11. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    During February of last year I was moving 5 or 6 each outing. Early in the season I never see them, but they show up late as they come back north. On the second to last day of the season I found covey's of woodcock in some hellish pines. There had to be 30 or 40 birds in 1/2 mile of habitat. Beats anything I have ever seen in regards to migrant encounters.

I hear there are a bunch around in early Nov., but me and the dog don't hit the woods until after T-giving.

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I don't target them here but I can run my dog on the reclaims and get up 3 or 4 in an afternoon. Those are the early-season resident birds. Occasionally I've got into a dozen or so in the sumac thickets.

Up North I shot 3 one morning before 9:00am. We see enough (1 dozen or more?) each day for a 3 man limit if we wanted to shoot them. I'll shot every one that a young dog points but beyond that they get a free pass.

13. uplandchessies

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    You guys would really consider them pitiful and easy if you hunted with me.

I rarely move less than 10 in a 3 hour hunt unless poor brooding took place over springtime or a drought came into play (opening day last year, 1 bird). When the migration is on that number goes above 30. In Michigan we move over 100 a day most years, but this includes reflushes since my buddies can't shoot :). Back when I kept tabs on it, my dogs were moving 400 to 500 plus in a season. This did include reflushes, though.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  14. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Maybe if you hunted with a real bird god your numbers would be higher.;)

No offense, but I am not going woodcock hunting. I do not seek them out nor care to really be involved with them. Kind of like criminals. :D

15. Ballard County Bounty

Sep 4, 2007
    Ballard County

HAHAHAHA!!! That is funny! I was quail huntin on the last day of season this past year. The dogs pointed a covey of birds in the CRP and when we flushed them the covey went to the woods. We got down in there and was shootin some singles. About every 3rd point it seemed like the dogs were kind of hesitant on point and danced around the bird. We would flush the bird and it would be a woodcock. My dogs had never been on them before and I dont think they quit knew weather they should point them or not. But we kicked a bunch up then and got to the other side of the farm on another covey of quail and the same thing happened...They went to the woods and we started fluchin woodcock! Most I had ever seen on our farm!