How join th fight for center fired at night?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by nkyhornhunter, Feb 19, 2017.

1. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

That doesn't mean everyone would. It's the few that always screw it up for the majority.

DH13 and Dark Cloud like this.
  2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I can show you A LOT of Cows and Houses you cant see in day light scouting. Then you have the ones who will just pull of the road and hunt fields any way. Most don't scout. Just sit up and hope. Cows get shot every year during Deer gun season to.

3. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I'm sure that cows do get shot during deer season, but it's not going to end gun season. I keep seeing the argument that cows and houses will be shot if rifles are allowed at night. I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. I know TONS of guys who night hunt predators in many other states and I never hear of any issues.

bird whisperer likes this.
  4. nkyhornhunter

nkyhornhunter Fawn

Aug 25, 2014
    Indiana and Ohio both allow center fired at night... and there certainly hasn't been an issue in those 2 states...Fact is.... it wont change until we all do something to make it change. I have put in several calls in to DNR and will continue to do so...

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    the states that allow center fire rifles at night don't have problems or they wouldn't be doing it. why would anyone think it will be a problem in Ky?
    those against are using the argument that is no different then the one used by the anti-concealed carry crowd...."will be like the old west, gun fights in the streets if it's allowed", trying to scare people with gloom and doom.

6. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Agreed

Jacobhwrd likes this.
  7. Varmint shooter

Varmint shooter Fawn

Nov 27, 2017
    Northern Kentucky
    In my opinion there is no reason why center fire rifles should not be used for night predator hunting . I've read all the posts here on the subject, and I do not think houses will be shot or livestock be be in danger of being shot. The use of lights need to be allowed for predator hunting at night all year not just 4 months, I have no idea what brought the Fish and Game department to that conclusion. I believe Kentucky fish and game should do more research with states that allow center fire rifles for night Predator hunting, and the same for the use of lights. If the state doesn't want the use of center fire rifles on state property I can understand that the same for the light issue, but private property should be left up to the land owner. Plus a lot more hunters will more than likely get to hunt more, and harvest more song dogs making it safer for young cattle and the urban back yard pet.

kyfarmer1 likes this.
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    The reason for lights just 4 months is the "racks" on the bucks. They start to lose the racks in late Jan and most of them have dropped them by Feb. Very same reason LBL doesn't allow centerfire rifles until Feb and stops it March 1st. The reason in LBL on March 1st is more people are starting to go back in for spring fishing, hiking, bicycling , turkey hunting and camping, just more people in the woods.

I myself am still on the fence about certerfires at night. I HAVE hunted with them at night in other states and have spend the big money on some of the better IR handheld scopes. They are GREAT and no problem IDing just about anything, in fact some things I can spot them better in the night than the day time. Go out in a field at night in the summer with the IR and you will never again leave your snake boots at home. The thing is the vast majority of us will NOT spend the big money for the better stuff and will try to make a go with the cheapest they can. I'm not blaming them but some of that stuff is junk and can cause more mistakes than help.

The other thing is I have seen the "bad" so called hunters too many times. Take LBL. I've scouted hard for years and know where to set up, I'm out there set up in full camo and getting ready to call when a truck drives up the road then stops. Speaker comes out the window and the passenger gets out with his rifle. That's illegal but they still do it day after day running the legal hunts for others. I can only wonder what those same people will do if certerfires are allowed at night. The few "bad" guys hurt it all for the rest of us.

JR PORTER likes this.
  9. captalex

captalex Fawn

Sep 29, 2016
    So are we any closer to being able to hunt at night with centerfire rifles? I sure hope so cause all we are doing now is educating dogs right now. Like it has been said before Indiana has been doing this for years with no problems. A poacher is not going to follow the law no matter what it is all we are doing is hurting the guys that would follow the law. Hope they get this fixed this year

10. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    sadly i doubt we are much closer then we were when they first opened up night hunting. Heres to hoping but you know how fast they move at these things. probably be years before we see a change to the regs that will matter. Small time frames and wrong guns is what they are willing to let us have so far.

11. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I never understood the no lights at night. How are supposed to see what you are shooting without a light, A very stupid law and a dangerous way of hunting.