How join th fight for center fired at night?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by nkyhornhunter, Feb 19, 2017.

1. kyfarmer1

kyfarmer1 Fawn

Oct 4, 2015
    washington co. ky.
    I am a farmer also with livestock and I lose about 1 calf a year. I also am all for rifles at night or any way you can kill one.

2. nkyhornhunter

nkyhornhunter Fawn

Aug 25, 2014
    So for the guys that all agree on this.... what the heck do we do next? each of of call our local game warden? Start placing calls to Frankfort? I imagine if we sit around wait for KY to pass this we might be waiting for a while! Anyone have any idea's?

3. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    This.............

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I personally don't think the deer herd would be hurt by this,people will poach regardless.Only thing I would be concerned with ,would be the safety of some idiot not watching where he hunts and shoots.Most hunters would be safe,but there's a few ,that would mix a few drinks in with what they would call hunting.I also know the only way to keep these coyotoes in check ,is hunting and trapping.I can't blame no one ,especially livestock owners ,for wanting them controlled by any means possible.

JR in KY likes this.
  5. All of the concerns listed above apply equally during daylight hours. Idiots with guns shooting in bad directions, drunk/stupid hunters, poachers, etc. It is true that coyotes will breed faster or more often when the populations are impacted. Why would that be a reason to restrict their being hunted? WTF? That is like saying don't hunt Isis cause your gonna PI$$ them off. The coyote is a threat to native game. We should be using all means available to eradicate them. Any means, any time on private land. OK to restrict on public land if you want, but I would not. If cattle farmers are concerned about anything, you are still free to restrict the hunters on your property.

As for poachers? In my opinion, having legal coyote hunters in the woods after dark means that the poachers are more likely to be found out and reported. Poachers, like any illegal activity, do not want to be seen, found, observed. They scatter like roaches when good people show up. As for poachers claiming they are hunting coyotes? That is hard to do when a deer carcass is in the back of your truck. Ask for their coyote calls. Ask to see the coyotes, etc. Unless caught in the act they are hard to prosecute now. Traffic in the woods by legal hunters is a deterrence to any illegal activity.

There is NO downside to night hunting coyotes with rifles. What to do next?

Call/Write your legislators and local state senators. They need support to lead change. Call State Fish & Wildlife and engage in an open dialogue about how to eradicate coyotes. Coyotes are a non-native species. They are decimating the ground dwelling small game and ground nesting birds as well as impacting the deer, sheep, & cattle herds. When I asked KY Fish & Wildlife about legal means available to kill or capture a Mountain Lion found on my Sister's farm in Eastern, KY, I was told I could hunt it with any weapon, any time, day or night, with or without baits, lights, night vision, use dogs, etc, and that I did not even need to possess a valid hunting license. This from the Dir. in Frankfort. Coyotes should be the same. There are just lots more of them and they are a far bigger problem. Hunt them, trap them, poison them, shoot them out of choppers. Put a state bounty on their pelts. Any means whatsoever.

Irish

6. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    You can not fix stupid

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Nice. You have spoken, so it is done. Smh.

8. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    All of this. Well said IMO.

9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    For what it's worth, you can use an IR scope and centerfire on your farm at night. You just can't shoot living animals with them.

baknblack likes this.
  10. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    What the Hell else are you going to shoot?
    Jest sayin.....

aaronc and coyote1758 like this.
  11. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    In Hunter Education, we teach our kids to identify your target and what is behind your target. You can not accomplish that at night, PERIOD! There is no exception to the rule. It is a safety issue, not a poaching issue.

bondhu, nwest and kyfuzzyface like this.
  12. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I see where you're coming from and that's precisely why I believe that it should be allowed only on private property. I can see where it would be a bad idea on public land.
    But if I'm a landowner, I'd say I know exactly where I can and can't shoot towards. No different than daytime hunting.
    I know LOTS of predator hunters in states that allow night hunting with rifles. They don't mention any problems with safety.

aaronc and baknblack like this.
  13. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Targets. Already dead animals. Bottles. The list is endless really.

aaronc likes this.
  14. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    I was talking about the poacher..

15. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    Bgkyarcher I was speaking about the poacher not you. You have a opinion and you should free to post it on here. Did not mean to insult anyone.