How Fast They Grow Up

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    March 6th was one of those perfect spring days, warm and calm with a cloudless sky-- that shade of blue that only seems peculiar to spring.

As my oldest son and I walked through my hunting property, memories seemed to hang from the very branches. We walked past the stand where an eight year-old John watched me arrow a nice buck (after first pointing it out to me). It was that same stand he shot his second deer from. We strolled past a campsite, across the old footbridge, through the old dump. Each place we passed brought to mind another story.

"Remember that pile of cow bones?" I asked. We had found the old cow skeleton years ago, and while I looked for plants that day John had carefully piled them up. They became a sort of macabre landmark from then on. John looked down from nearly six feet up ( when did THAT happen?) and said, "Yeah. I remember!"

I thought about how small he used to be. How I used to lift him over the creek. I thought about how the little ones seem to notice those things that we adults eventually stop noticing. How he wanted to keep every rock, acorn and snail shell he found. Especially snail shells.

As we neared an old fallen tree where we had sat together many times, I stopped and said, "I can't believe it!"

"Is that what I think it is?" John asked, looking ahead.

"Yep! Go pick it up! "

It was a nice shed from a deer we had actually captured on the trailcam.

"You know, you can technically say you found it, since I didn't point it out," I said, winking.

"Yup," he grunted. I thought back to the days when John never stopped talking. Now he averaged less dialog than Clint Eastwood's "Man with no Name." :D

We walked slowly back and as we got back in the van John pulled something from his pocket. "Look at that," he said.

It was a snail shell. I guess "little John" is still in there somewhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

redjackson, Nock, davers and 23 others like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    “the swiftest hours, as they flew,” Shakespeare

3. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Just celebrated my sons 16th b day yesterday. Used to never shut up and now all I get is grunts and mumbles. They grow up fast.

redjackson and Nock like this.
  4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    The years go by too fast. Hard to believe that my oldest is 28 and my "baby" is approaching 26. Even harder to believe that our first grandbaby will be arriving soon... Seems like just yesterday, we had two little blonde tykes trailing along with us every step we took. Now, thanks to Covid and adult-responsibilities, it seems like we hardly get to see them at all.....

5. Timholt70

Timholt70 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Well written.good memories.

Hoosier Sasquatch and Nock like this.
  6. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Mine arent nearly that old...yet. Oldest turns 9 next month..youngest just turned 3 in december. It doesnt seem that neither should be that old...but yet they are.

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    They grow up mighty fast.

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I had lunch with my son on Friday. He will turn 24 in June. It just doesn't seem possible that he is that old

Capttrae and OLE RASPY like this.
  9. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    That’s great. Memories are cherished.

10. Buzz151

Buzz151 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2014
    Those are special memories. Looks like John has a great dad!

11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Mine does the same. Pretty much only comes out of room to eat or go to bathroom.

Hoosier Sasquatch, rcb216 and barney like this.