How Far? Yote?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by gobblergetter, Jan 12, 2010.

1. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    I've been yote hunting 2x in my life and really don't know what I'm doing. How far apart do you set up? I was just reading the thread asking why they don't come in and some said it's b/c they don't hear the call which raised the question of how far should I go before I set up again.

Also, how long do you stay in each set up? How long is your sequence of calling? How long do you wait between each calling sequence? I've just been wingin it and havn't seen one yote from a set up yet.

2. duxdown 1

duxdown 1 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2009
    western ky
    how far

Ok think of it this way how far can you hear a crow? Well if you can hear a crow lets say 500 yards the coyote could hear him at 1000. Does that mean he will go that far to eat him?? Depends on cover the lack of or to much to get threw and when he ate last and so on.

I move at least 500 yards between set ups some times miles depending on where you hunt and the conditions.

Good Luck.

3. DUCKY41051

DUCKY41051 6 pointer

Jul 22, 2008
    ok thats one answer, how about how long do you stay there and how long you call?

4. Hoot

Hoot 6 pointer

Mar 28, 2007
    Washington County
    Everyone has a different pattern but here is what I mostly do.
    Coyote vocals off and on for about a minute. I usually stay quite for about 5 mins. Then I go into something more attention getting like a distress or challenge howls off and on for a couple minutes. I will put some sort of sound out about every 5 to 10 after that, if I see something then I let him tell me he needs. If he stops give him just enough to get him going. If he is on his way do nothing. I stay on stand for about 30 to 45 minutes.

I was blanked on 5 stands Saturday. My thinking is that I may have been a little to agressive. I'm going to try and back off of the above next weekend.
    Good luck

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Can't agree with the statement about a coyote's hearing being twice as good as yours. Even if your hearing is perfect, a coyote's hearing is at least 7 times better than yours, according to experts I have talked to about such. If you can hear your ecaller at 50 yds, you can bet a coyote can hear it at 350 yds or further. He lives by his senses with no owner to feed him. Your domestic dogs can teach you a lot about this subject. A coyote is so in tune with his surroundings that he hears and sees anything out of the normal. Look at how far Dan Thompson and some of the hunters mouth call coyotes, even with the wind in their face at times.

6. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    you hunt out of your deer stands right? by coyote vocals do you mean barks and yaps etc without howling? How long do you work your distress calls? 1 min? I used a tape recorder of rabbit distress the other day and wasn't sure how long to let it play.

7. duxdown 1

duxdown 1 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2009
    western ky
    coyote 101

I totaly agree that a coyote can hear further tha twice your hearing, but was just making a point mostly. You can hunt from a stand, but I would say its just like deer hunting in the sense you will learn your qaurry. I hunt from the ground with back against something. You can liken it to turkey hunting except he can smell you like a deer actually better I know, again just for emphisis. You know the old addage if a Turkey could smell you could never call one into range of a shotgun, well The coyote is that turkey. His only weakness is his stomach and curiosity.

That said you will just have to read as much articals as you can, and just get out there and make mistakes and learn the trade. Kinda like you did when you first hunted deer, assuming you hunt deer. If you can find some one to show you the ropes great. If not just stay at it and look for places to set up were you can see and they can hear you and watch the wind direction. I get busted by the wind several times a year if I am hunting a tight area. Its not just like on the tv showes out west, at least around KY.

Good Luck, I am sure lots of guys here will continue to give you support and Ideas.

8. Hoot

Hoot 6 pointer

Mar 28, 2007
    Washington County

I will use a DEER stand if available but I'm on the ground most of the time. As far a vocals, lone howls or female invitation.
    For me, one minute but no longer than 2. Reason is that if I have one coming in that I can not see I want him to be looking for the rabbit/coyote/bird. He will know pretty close to where it should be. I do not want him focused directly on me if possible.

9. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

For the beginer I highly recomend using distress sounds until you get used to how they aproach a setup. This will get you more oportunities in the long run than you will get using coyote vocals.

Each setup should be at least 30 minutes. This will give moving animals plenty of time to hear what your offering . Move about 8 to 900 yards and do it over again. Keep your volume at where you can hear it clearly, that is plenty loud enough for any predator. Jimmie