How far or how deep

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Cantmisum, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Cantmisum

Cantmisum 8 pointer

How far or how deep do you all walk into a stand.
    I know it depends on the stand and other variables such as wind
    But I find it hard to decide sometimes with the way the terrain effects scent and sound and whether I am just going to spook any coyote off by going to far.

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Work your way in setup by setup. That is one of the best reasons for looking at airial pics of the ground your hunting. It shows you how things are connected so you can factor in wind directions at each spot. I will go as deep as I have to , but I won't pass a good setup without calling it. Jimmie

3. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    That's why I always scout a farm thoroughly before ever hunting it. Knowledge of the land, sneaky routes to your setups, and even clearing where you will sit ahead of time are all helpful when you actually hunt. The most likely success day you'll have in most cases is the first time you call a place. Hunters have different favorite ways of setting up, but total knowledge of the land is a must if you want to be successful on a consistent basis. When I reach my choice of sit down spots, I don't want to make a lot of unnecessary noise clearing briars, brush, etc..

4. DirtMover

DirtMover 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2009
    Warren County

"That's what she said..." :D

5. basshunter9239

basshunter9239 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2009
    i have walked anywhere, from 200-300 yards from the truck to well over 2 miles. it all depends on the terrain. Its a long walk back though without any action

6. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I've got one place that I only walk 40 yards and have killed several coyotes from that setup, others I've walked almost a mile. Just depends on the terrain and the location

7. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    i deer hunted about 125 yards from the road and where my truck was parked and had a coyote come by my truck into bow range when I shot her. Fast forward now to after deer season. Would that same set up work coyote hunting or would any potential coyotes shy away due to the truck?

8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

During the LBL hunt we have had hunters return to the truck to find coyotes had marked them well. You bother them a heck of a lot more than that truck does.

If you have a good setup near the tuck start there and work your way in. Remembering what time of day you see coyotes in that area also tells you how close to the bedding area you may be. If late in the morning then you are fairly close. If you see them early , then scout in the direction they were going . Look for heavy cover on south facing slopes a mile or more away from there. Jimmie