How do you deal with your MIL's

redjackson

8 pointer
Dec 4, 2010
Barren County
I will agree with the others that it will get better, we have an eleven month old. Mine can be Very overbearing but me and my wife are very independant people so we are on the same page. I would feel out my wife and see what her opinion is. If she doesnt mind it then Hold on for a bit longer it will get better... or get lucky like us and your wifes sibling have one and take the heat off yall! Lol

philipfleek

12 pointer
Feb 24, 2008
philville, KY
My MIL is about to drive me crazy. I've posted in other threads that my wife and I just had our first child 2 weeks 2 days ago. My MIL has been in the hospital and at our house 13/16 days since she's been born. I'm about to go nuts.

NOW, they are skyping all the time on the 3 days shes not here. I'm trying to watch the Philly v Vikings game and my MIL is gracing me with her presence through skype.

She is SOOOOO overbearing its not funny. How do you guys handle your MIL's

I know what you mean. My first son was born at 431am jan 10 1998. I held him for the first time and had only held him for 10 seconds when he made a whimper sound, the MIL reached over and snached him from me like I had my hands around his throat. I Looked at my wife and said that wont happen again. I won.. second son was born may 5- 99 and she wasn't allowed in the room till i said so. Thanks god I have nothing to do with her now!

ky_bull

12 pointer
Jul 3, 2005
Washington County
I know this will sound sappy as hell, but I love my MIL, I couldnt ask for a better one. She gets on my nerves like no other sometimes, but she is the greatest. I lost my mother about 4 years ago, so I dont know what I would do without her. When it was time for my wife to go back to work, the babysitter we had lined up to keep our newborn found out she had cancer a week before she was to start watching her, my MIL said she would keep her. Other than my wife, there is no other person I could ask to raise our baby girl. She is a wife of a 20 yr retired Marine that has been all over the world and raised 3 kids of her own. She was a little overbearing at first with the new baby, but I learn to accept it and had a talk with my wife.

anvil

6 pointer
Sep 27, 2009
Let me guess , Your wife is either there only child only girl or the baby?
Had the same problem. I sat mine down and in the nicest way I could just ask her to respect my privacy and give us some space. In laws will spoil the crap out of kids for the few months and move on to something else then your left with a winning kid who wants some one to hold it all the time and I can promise you this when you come home from work it will be your turn to hold it so it does not cry all the time and don't let it get used to sleeping with you. A doctor will tell you not to let every one hold the baby because of germs spread I promise you that young one will start getting sick soon and it is no fun going to bed @ 4:30 AM and getting up @ 6 to go to work or staying up all night at the hospital. Your in law is going get your wife spoiled as well and when the in law steps out of the pitcher it is going to be hell on you..

Be nice to her and maybe she will understand that once a week is fine.
Other option is to do like I did and move 60 miles away
Take what i say with a grain of salt and remember to be kind to her at all cost.. She will come in handy later down the road..

Here is another good tip I used
Get a small box fan and place it in the room with the baby ( turn it on low and place it on the other side of the room)but do not point it at him/her it will help her get used to the noise and you can watch your games or what ever and not wake him/her up.
Congratulations on the new child man I wish you all the best. I have 3 boy's myself the oldest is 24 the youngest is 14 yup that's right just 4 more years man..

Last edited:

forddeerslayer

12 pointer
Jun 26, 2009
greenup/lewis co
There WILL come a day when you need a favor from them, someone to watch the little one on short notice or for a weekend. This is exciting and new for them as well. Kiss your wife, kiss your little one, and head to the woods. Even if you just grab a book and head to the pop up blind for a few hours

lessons on loving MIL from the great pentail. all kidding aside. im thankful for the MOST part i get along with mine and thats very well said pentail. it could affect your marriage also if you burn the bridge with your mother in law. i would talk to your wife about it tho aswell.

Docknboatlift

8 pointer
Mar 24, 2004
Louisville
Mine's been dead since before I met the little woman. No problem at all.

Her Dad can be a bit fiesty, but I honestly get along better with him than she does.

killinmammals

12 pointer
Nov 6, 2005
In a VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
My MIL is pretty controlling...or tries to be. My wife is the only girl out of 3 kids. I get along great with the MIL except when she comes over and tries to act like things in my house should be the way she wants them. I can only imagine what its going to be like when we have kids. Both the wife and I have applied for jobs a couple hours away and the MIL said she hopes we don't get them...THAT p'd me off...and she was serious

TedB

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2005
Nicholasville
Mine and I have a live and let live agreement. She doesn't try to tell me how to raise my kids or to mow my grass when I should be fishing and I don't borrow money or beat on her daughter. I used to get bent out of shape and get in arguments with her when she tried to extend her will on my household. Now I think about whether it will affect my life in 5 years. If not, I let it slide. If so, I remind her that she doesn't pay any of my bills and that the door is right where she left it. It works for a week or two.

For the OP-Give it time, she's in Granny heaven right now and imagine what it means to your wife. I'd give anything if I could get along with my MIL, unfortunately the above agreement is about the best we can manage after 14 years. If it don't straighten itself out in a few weeks start spending some couch time in your underwear.

philipfleek

12 pointer
Feb 24, 2008
philville, KY
My MIL is about to drive me crazy. I've posted in other threads that my wife and I just had our first child 2 weeks 2 days ago. My MIL has been in the hospital and at our house 13/16 days since she's been born. I'm about to go nuts.

NOW, they are skyping all the time on the 3 days shes not here. I'm trying to watch the Philly v Vikings game and my MIL is gracing me with her presence through skype.

She is SOOOOO overbearing its not funny. How do you guys handle your MIL's

So what did you do? It's been awhile since your post.

killinmammals

12 pointer
Nov 6, 2005
In a VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
Do you really blame her for not wanting her daughter to move 100 miles away?

Considering her daughter is the first in their entire family to get a college degree and on top of that a masters, yes. Why would you be so proud of your kid then not want them to work their tail off getting somewhere with that degree and making a better life for themself

Latest posts