How Do They Do It

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 4UK, Sep 11, 2013.

1. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    Just wandering, if I'm the only one on here that has a hard time finding the Big Bucks , by looking on here you would think there is one behind every tree , the trail cam pics of the Bucks are awesome , I have plenty places to hunt just seems the Big Boys are hard to locate for me . Congrats to those who locate them year after year , hats off to you .

2. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Blind hog and acorn theory sometimes explains it best.Then in all seriousness there are some guys on here who do it yearly,hats off to them

3. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    1. Location
    2. The motivation to run cameras sets when its 95 degrees in July and August.
    3. Location
    4. A little luck doesn't hurt
    5. Location

4. PreacherMan88

PreacherMan88 6 pointer

Sep 13, 2012
    Like bow only said, takes the willingness to run multiple cam, on multiple locations, and LOTS of corn! Lol

5. ljblue

ljblue 6 pointer

Dec 15, 2008
    Shepherdsville
    You're not the only one. I don't have a deer of any size at all on camera yet. I usually don't see any bigger deer until late Oct. Lots of does, fawns and a few smaller bucks. But just because they're not on camera don't mean they are not around. We hunted for a lot of years with no cameras and no real idea of what was hiding in the woods.

6. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Well friend, I see your in Johnson county..Im in Floyd co so I know how hard it is to find big bucks around here..Mountain and holler bucks are a little harder to get up with..They are there but its not like hunting river bottoms,corn fields or little wooded intersections is it? Lot of cam's, lots of time and even more luck..My biggest mountain buck so far was about 120".

7. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    There's big deer in Johnson co. I hunt the Johnson/Lawrence co line and I have good deer on my cams every week. Now for the part of killing one, you have to patience and persistence. And hunt smart. I have a friend that kills 160"+ bucks every year on a strip job (bow only) where there's 50 hunters all the time running around on 4 wheelers. But he hunts smart, has patience and is persistence. It's hard, but can be done.

8. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Add years and years of passing small bucks.

9. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    Acorn Cruncher....It's what all the guys who chop down the big boys use.

10. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Corn Corn and when in doubt, Corn

11. Ky_Hill Hunter

Ky_Hill Hunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2013
    Bullitt Co
    There must be a high fence around those counties. :eagerness:

12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yep, its called the Appalachian mountains:eagerness: Though its different county to county..I live in mid/southern Floyd county..Its much more mountainous than Most of say Johnson and Lawrence county..Where I live its much like Letcher and southern Pike county in terrain.
    When I was about 15 deer were al but non-existant in my part of Kentucky..Seeing a track was a big deal..there are plenty of good deer here but patterning them is a little different and then you must have a way to cart those cam checks and corn up the mountain.
    Directly in front of my house(and I mean like 75' in front of my house) is a hill/mountain that takes 2200' of cable to reach the top of the ridge..Its so steep that a 4 wheeler cannot climb it, period. That's where my tiny deer herd stay, so if I want to hunt it I have to half climb, half crawl over 2000' straight up to hunt..I don't hunt there much:p

13. screamin6x6

screamin6x6 BBBC Members

Pretty good explanation.

14. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I'm in Johnson county as well. There are good deer here, I've seen them. Last year during gun season I saw a buck that was 150 all day long standing on the hill side across from Hutch Chevrolet. It was a Thursday afternoon I believe around 5:00 pm. Couldn't believe it when I pulled onto 460 from Rt. 40, but he was right there looking up the hill. I stopped in the intersection and luckily no one was behind me. A friend got a trail cam pic of what I'd guess to be a 160-170 here in the county. There are boomers here. You should see some of the bucks killed in Martin county during rifle season. These bucks are never scored and those hunters could care less who knows about them. Get the Martin county paper about a week after rifle season and you'll see. Pike has them as well. Go to Mark Harless taxidermy shop and see what he has during rifle season. They are here.

15. finelydeerhunting

finelydeerhunting 8 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    Finley, KY
    What does it take?

1.) Location
    2.) Lots of land
    3.) Good neighbors (this is the biggest factor)
    4.) Lots of hard work in the off season planting food plots and doing the leg work
    5.) LUCK (<-- Most important.)