How did the weekend go?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by littletom, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Bad deal Brandon! hope they show up somewhere

2. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    RAIN, RAIN RAIN!!

When the corn clubs are cryin, my ducks are dyin!

3. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Found my lanyard! Daughter had stuck them in her bibs pocket and hung them up in the cabinet. I checked our pile of clothes but forgot she had carried extra bibs in. I'm a happy man tonight! I will make sure my stuff is accounted for in my bag and I carry it in and out from now on though.

4. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    He helped me tune this MVP also when I first started calling. Talked to him on the phone for like 30 mins one afternoon, super nice guy.

KentuckyOutdoors likes this.
  5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    we had a fair weekend didnt hunt saturday but scratched 4 honkers and 6 mallards for the 3 days.

Bowfinger likes this.
  6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I bought the first of his calls that i own from him face to face in the hardware store where he first sold them in the late 70s-early 80s. I have a couple more I bought the next year from that era, the stickered ones , in their boxes. One I carry every day in the field. Sadly , I took one of them to him to replace the rotten cork reed when he was in the shop next to Macks about five years ago, and I think he had lost his touch because the call was never the same after he tried to retune it..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  7. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I would love to have one of those old stickered ones just to have. I have a friend who's dad bought one new and he keeps it on his lanyard. It's a sweet call for sure but I'd hate to lose it. I wished I had taken my MVP in for butch to put on the jig. I hear he could really make them come alive. He taught one guy his ways and I keep saying I'm going to contact the guy to see if he'll do mine but never have. I'm going to look him up while I'm eating lunch and send him a message.

8. Devan Wasson

Devan Wasson Fawn

Dec 1, 2019
    Central Kentucky
    Thursday morning was my craziest experience ever! Out of sheer neccesity myself and a group of guys hunted a private pond that had a few mallards on it the previous day. When we arrived, we were surprised to find a group of about 60 geese roosted on the little mud-hole. We bumped them off and figured we would never see them again. However! About 20 minutes after legal shooting light the same group of geese (we assume) descended right into our laps. With some really nice shooting, we dropped eight of those bad boys! AND TWO WERE BANDED! It was the first time I had ever been on a hunt where multiple bands were harvested. It blew my mind! But not too long after, a group of three more geese decided to make the trip and we shot 100% on that volley. Better yet, ONE OF THOSE SUCKERS WAS BANDED!

After a really rough year last year, that Thanksgiving hunt has me excited and hopeful for what's to come this year. But I highly doubt I'll live to the excitement of that hunt ever again...

FOWLER2671, gung, redjackson and 3 others like this.
  9. KentuckyOutdoors

KentuckyOutdoors Spike

Nov 19, 2019
    Christian County
    Awesome story and a memorable hunt!

Devan Wasson likes this.
  10. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

That's actually a really cool story. Congrats.

Devan Wasson and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  11. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    good to hear! I lost the reed and insert out of my Charlie Hess Goose Call a couple years back. ☹️ Still pisses me off every time I think about it. Part of a matching set goose and duck call. Still got the duck call.

Brsutton86 likes this.
  12. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    I agree that would really suck. My one Hess lives in the safe.