How close??

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by iamjustlucky, May 1, 2020.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    Boy... seems like a question of etiquette to me but if yall have permission to hunt it thats that.
    Its scary for sure but id say unless its too close to your house By Law to discharge a firearm you may not have a say in it. Id ask your local law enforcement about the regulation. Or approach the neighbors brother with reasonable expectation he could tell you to pee up a rope or whatever.

2. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I believe the law states 100 yards from an occupied dwelling. We have run into it hunting the lakes. People think they bought the whole lake instead of an adjacent lot.

3. hoene

hoene 8 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    I'd just cut the grass every time he was in the blind.

4. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Right up to the property line. There is no distance from a dwelling law in Kentucky. Unless, you are taking about one of the WMAs. Private is Private.

5. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Like snareman said, no distance requirements in ky. It doesn't look that close to me. I think you are out of luck.

6. iamjustlucky

iamjustlucky Spike

Mar 26, 2007
    Robards KY
    I agree that I am out of luck and distance is a matter of opinion.

If you look closer at the picture you may notice my cabin to the left. 60 ft to cabin plus no more than 60 ft to the blind = appx 120 ft.

Still too close for me.

7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    From what I can gather. This guy is trying to cut Birds off from you. Got a bunch of land to hunt. But wants to be right on top of you. Keep you from killing them. Id target practice every morning he was out there.

Carl likes this.
  8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That looks more than 120’ to me.

9. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Have there been birds in that field or is this just a dumb*** who doesn’t really “get it”?

Feedman likes this.
  10. iamjustlucky

iamjustlucky Spike

Mar 26, 2007
    Robards KY
    I know it is hard to tell distance from a picture and most people would not see my cabin but no more than 120 ft.

Just trying to cut me off? That was kind of what I was thinking also.

Are there birds? Of course! But they are everywhere on all 3 pieces of land. Deer, Turkey, coyote, possum, rabbits, skunk, etc.
    We both live right across from a hunting reserve. But I have not heard a male turkey gobble since opening day. I hope the hens have been tended to before the males were harvested.

11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    He is not being very thoughtful.

Just turn your dog loose early every morning

12. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Yeah and maybe shoot some Tannerite. :D:D

DH13 likes this.
  13. It depends on how well you know and get along with your neighbor. I know from past experience that living with an idiot neighbor is a PITA that does not go away. It is better for both of you if you can resolve this issue amicably. It is easy to become enemies with a neighbor but very difficult to fix it once it is started. I would suggest:

Plan A - go see your neighbor and/or his brother and respectfully request that they not hunt so close to your home. State whatever supporting concerns you may have about children or grandchildren playing in the yard, dogs loose, etc. With luck that could be the end of it.

Plan B - as others have stated, perform activities which make that location undesirable. i.e. mowing grass, target practice, fireworks, etc. Just don't make it an overt threatening thing that would justify some form of retaliation.

Plan C - If all else fails, I really liked the Tannerite idea.

Carl and woodsman92 like this.
  14. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    If negotiation doesn't work ... go set up your own blind on HIS SIDE of that property ... see how he likes it. :)

Carl likes this.