How bout them Cats?

maxcam

12 pointer
Mar 29, 2005
After listening to Cal's post game comments, I would hate to be lacing them up for practice over at Memorial Coliseum today.....

One thing you guys who think about..... Just because these kids have Kentucky across their chest doesnt mean teams just roll over and give up the win.

The defense in the first half wasnt that bad..... In fact, on three trips down the floor, Alabama took contested shots behind the 3 point line with less than 3 seconds on the shot clock. Now I am certain that the scouting report read.....MAKE THEM SHOOT FROM OUTSIDE.... Since Alabama had only made 3 three pointers in the last three conference games...... Alabama had the offensive game of their life and Kentucky played poorly..... It happens from time to time.... Just ask Tom Brady.

If UK hits their foul shots they win..... Practicing foul shots is a skill set that should not be developed at practice. Players should work on that on their own time.

Last edited:

buckfever

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2002
Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
They were giving reasons for the loss, not excuses. Excuses would be like blaming outside influences like refs, lack of time to prepare, etc. Saying that they didnt play well together, didnt show up the first half, etc is giving reasons, not excuses. Surely you know the difference?

Is the refs' bias just an excuse or a reason when Duke wins? Just askin. . . .

GreatWhiteHunter

6 pointer
Sep 22, 2006
Riddle me this, since some of you say that Cal is such a horrible coach how did we make it back from 20 down to loose by 2?? By your logic it had nothing to do with Cal making adjustments right? So if the "Cal can't coach" argument holds water then Bama's coach, being that he is a much better coach and all must have made adjustments to tell his guys to throw the ball away under pressure, and not to hit contested shots... need I go on?

maxcam

12 pointer
Mar 29, 2005
Already used that excuse last season against WV.

I cant help that every team in the country gets pumped to play the Number one program in the world...... Just part of being the University of Kentucky..... after a few more years with Saban, Im sure you will gains some insight into the magic.... But you better start whippin up on Auburn or the Tide will be the Little brother of bama before long..... Just sayin....

Scott7m

12 pointer
Dec 20, 2007
Carter City, Ky
Get a coach instead of a recruiter for starters.

That is one of the problems right there. I never do see Calipari tell a player what he has done wrong. He only knows how to scream and cuss at players. If a young player does something wrong, he probably did it because he don't know what to do. But instead of being a coach, and telling the player what he did wrong and how to correct it, Calipari just wants to scream and cuss at a player. Just like when Vargas got driven around early in the game. Instead of telling him (Vargas) to take away the players left side, because that is where he likes to go, Calipari just screams at Vargas and says OUT!!!! and motions with his thumb to the bench. Why not inform Vargas to take away the dribblers left hand because Vargas may be back in the game again at some point and can make the same mistake because no one told him what to do.

And when Calipari isn't yelling and screaming at players, he is raising his hands and shrugging his shoulders over every call that doesn't go his way. I've said it once and I'll say it again. Calipari = Excellent recruiter & mediocre coach.

do you really think that they dont sit and watch hours of game footage where the coaching staff explains the tendencies of every man on the floor! Get real. I don't blame coach cal one bit, it was obvious what the players needed to do, and for 15 minutes of the game, they did it!

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
Riddle me this, since some of you say that Cal is such a horrible coach how did we make it back from 20 down to loose by 2?? By your logic it had nothing to do with Cal making adjustments right? So if the "Cal can't coach" argument holds water then Bama's coach, being that he is a much better coach and all must have made adjustments to tell his guys to throw the ball away under pressure, and not to hit contested shots... need I go on?

I don't see anywhere in any of my posts where I said Anthony Grant was a great coach, do you? Grant doesn't even draw up the offensive plays. That is peformed by one of his assistance coaches. I'd say the reason Kentucky was able to come back from 20 down was simple. UK has a better team and more talent than Alabama. When you have that, your gonna make runs at certain times with or without coaching, which Kentucky did. However, UK, if they had someone to coach them, would have never gotten down 20 points against an Alabama team that isn't very good. If you want to talk about a good coach, look no further than Bob Huggins. Look his overall record against your beloved Calipari. Huggins may not have won the big one, but like Calipari, he has been to two final fours. And neither one of them has been vacated!!

I cant help that every team in the country gets pumped to play the Number one program in the world...... Just part of being the University of Kentucky..... after a few more years with Saban, Im sure you will gains some insight into the magic.... But you better start whippin up on Auburn or the Tide will be the Little brother of bama before long..... Just sayin....

I love it when UK fans have no words to come back with when they get into a discussion about Calipari. In return, they begin talking about Alabama football and Saban because they know I'm a fan of the Tide. You and a friend of mine would get along real well. But I thought football season was over? Are we now having to revert back to this year's loss to Auburn as a comeback? Let me rephrase that. This years CHOKE against Auburn to try and acheive something? If there was an SEC Choke of the Year award, Nick Saban should win it. However, unlike a large percentage of UK fans, they are only fans when the program is winning and not so when they are losing. Example the Billy G era and latter part of Tubby Smith era after the Rick Pitino recruits had graduated.

Yeah, Alabama will win and they will lose. However, I will still be a fan no matter how well they are doing and no matter who the coach is. I've been a fan as long as I can remember and it hasn't changed, even when they are stinking it up. I can't say the same for some of the so called UK fans.

mwezell

12 pointer
Jan 22, 2006
Auburn, KY
Enjoy the win Bama fan. They don't come often against UK. I'll take Cal over your coach, and from top to bottom, I'll take him over any other coach in the country right now. I'm a lifelong UK fan. I'm a fan when they're up and a fan when they're down...Down doesn't happen often here though. Thae UK fan base is HUGE! When you get that many fans together, pulling for the same team, you'll also have some crazies. UK has more crazies because it has more fans. It has more TRUE BLUE blood bleeding fans than any other school in the country. We can take a few fair weather fans. Basketball is well understood here. We hold class here 76.6% of the time....all time. Bama was the better team last night. Hope we draw Bama in the SEC tourney.--Mike

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
do you really think that they dont sit and watch hours of game footage where the coaching staff explains the tendencies of every man on the floor! Get real. I don't blame coach cal one bit, it was obvious what the players needed to do, and for 15 minutes of the game, they did it!

I don't know how much game film they watch. Do you? Are you in the locker room with them? They have open gym or something during practice so everyone can hear the excellent training the great Calipari is giving?

It's the same every year. People said Rick Pitino was the best thing ever to come to Kentucky when he was hired. He won a National Title and put in place the players for Tubby Smith to win a National Title. Pitino left to better himself and now he is the worse person ever. Think what you want about Pitino, he hung a banner in the rafters in 1996 and almost again in 1997 and was instrumental in having another hung up in 1998. However, he messed up with an affair and that is all people in the "UK Fan" circle want to talk about when his name is mentioned. You give Rick Pitino the talent and skill level John Calipari had on the floor last season and you would be hanging another banner in the rafters. It's as simple as that.

Following the Eddie Sutton fisaco, which left the program in shambles, Pitino revived it. His 1993 Final Four appearances hasn't been vacated. As stated he put a banner up in 1996 and almost in 1997. Then he helped put one up in 1998. He added 219 wins to Kentucky's 2,000 milestone last season, but you never hear anything about that. Hell, if you didn't know any better, you would think Calipari won all 2,000 of them. As you can tell, I'm a fan of Rick Pitino because I think he is a hell of a coach.

Then you have Tubby Smith, who won a NCAA title with pretty much Pitino players. As long as Tubby was winning, he was great, the greatest coach in history. But when things went sour and recruiting went astray, "UK Fans" ran him off. Then their was the magnificant Billy G. I had a friend who said Kentucky had hired the best coach in the country when Billy G was hired. I thought Calipari was the best coach in the country? Wasn't Calipari coaching when Billy G was hired? How can two guys be the best coaches in the country? Oh I get it. When they are not at UK they are scabs, but when they are on the bench at UK they are the best in the country. I see how it is now.

Either way. My opinon of John Calipari has not and will not change. He is arrogant, cocky and thinks he is above everyone else just because he can get the best talent in the country to play for him. The only problem with that is, he can't win the big games when he gets it. And even if he does make a final four, chances are it will be stripped away because of his very ethical values to the sport of college basketball.

Here is a question to ask yourself. Do you honestly think all this top quality talent is coming to play at Kentucky because of the program's tradition and how great of a coach John Calipari is? The only reason Calpari is able to get such talent is because of his ability to get players to the NBA and of course his close relationship with the great William Wesley.

Last edited:

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
Enjoy the win Bama fan. They don't come often against UK. I'll take Cal over your coach, and from top to bottom, I'll take him over any other coach in the country right now. I'm a lifelong UK fan. I'm a fan when they're up and a fan when they're down...Down doesn't happen often here though. Thae UK fan base is HUGE! When you get that many fans together, pulling for the same team, you'll also have some crazies. UK has more crazies because it has more fans. It has more TRUE BLUE blood bleeding fans than any other school in the country. We can take a few fair weather fans. Basketball is well understood here. We hold class here 76.6% of the time....all time. Bama was the better team last night. Hope we draw Bama in the SEC tourney.--Mike

LOL. I know you will find this hard to believe, but I'm a UK basketball fan. You wouldn't think that by the way I talk about Calipari, but it's true. I don't like the man and I think he plays 2nd fiddle to a lot of coaches in the NCAA right now including Rick Pitino. You will never get some of the other members to believe I'm a UK basketball fan though. They think I'm a Louisville fan just because I'm a fan of Pitino. The only time I ever watch a basketball game is when UK is on. Don't believe me, you can ask the better half. But anywho. Have at it boys...

buckfever

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2002
Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
I cant help that every team in the country gets pumped to play the Number one program in the world...... Just part of being the University of Kentucky.....

C'mon, Max. I know you REALLY love UK and all, but it's not like UK's been crushing people in the 21st century.

It's easy to play the "We've always got that bullseye on our back" card in Kentucky or the SEC, and you might be right in terms of UofL have an inferiority complex about UK, but let's get real.

If you polled people across the nation, they'd all say that playing/beating UNC, KU or even Duke is a bigger deal than playing/beating UK over the last 10 years. Most of the guys playing today were in diapers the last time UK was a dominant program..

Even though they haven't even come close to having the best program over the last 10 years, I'd bet that opposing players would overwhelmingly say that they'd rather beat Duke than UK. Good night, Duke hasn't played UK in 12 years and the UK fans on this forum bad mouth Duke as much as UofL.