How big for a duck pond/flooded corn in a field?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Ezelkyhunter, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    Thoughts on the following.

say you’ve got a field that’s pretty dang flat that’s all planted in corn. How big a pond/flooded area is adequate? 1 acre?

thinking of trying to build small levy to flood corn about 18 inches deep and one acre in size. Field itself is 45 acres

2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Seems ethical for legally blind hunters.

3. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    Well I feel bad as I don’t know any legally blind hunters to take. Make no mistake I would take such individuals if I could though and do all I can to help them.

But since this project is being set up for a couple people with multiple sclerosis who face challenges through no fault of their own that many of us don’t, foster and under privileged kids to get them into the outdoors or at least exposed to it, I think I’ll just be unethical and continue the project.

Also, since we are setting up a way for a few wounded warriors to participate each year I think I’ll just have to live with myself being seen as unethical by those with keyboard courage who shockingly know no facts or circumstances but dang sure are ready to opine based on baseless assumptions that are way off base.

It’s a shame you didn’t have the pleasure of meeting my grandmother. She had such great sayings like:

“better to keep your mouth closed and people think you a fool than to open it and prove it to everyone”.

First issue: who are you to judge anybody’s ethics? If a manner of harvest and hunting is legal seems like all the rules are pretty ethical to me and the vast majority of folks.

Do you use a high powered rifle?
    A compound bow?
    Graphite arrows?
    Heck do you use camo? Scents? Play the wind? Deer cameras?

These are clear advantages and are they unethical? I mean what’s the effective range of a .308 on a deer ?? I’m pretty sure it’s slightly further and more effective than throwing a piece of flint (and not sharpened flint Bc that’s unethical I would assume). I use all these and 90% of the time it’s to help those groups above I mentioned to experience the outdoors. If that’s unethical then I’ll wear that badge with honor.

Second, this project is for those less advantaged than most, under privileged kids and those who served. Causes by which I unwaveringly and unapologetically stand by and if I Can do anything to help such causes I’m going to do so and don’t give a dang about someone’s uninvited opinion about matters they know NOTHING about.

I could go on and on but alas the points would likely be lost on you anyway.

I wish you the best huntress of light but to be honest (contrary to your forum handle) ya seem a little in the dark.

oh yah, one last grandmother saying
    “Opinions are like rear ends, everybody’s got one but most are just full of hot air”

And to be clear I don’t believe anybody hunting a flooded field etc as long as with the regs is in anyway unethical.

bowhunter269, Rod S. and Meatstick like this.
  4. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    STFU I'm not sure she hunts period. Good work E. I Think I would make it a little smaller so they don't land out of range. Maybe build it that big but have it where you can adjust the size.

Capttrae likes this.
  5. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Please accept my apologies for not reading all of that; I am currently preoccupied with geese, first to my northeast approximately fifteen minutes ago and moments ago due east. Plenty of corn around here, but I have not seen any flooded. We did have a good amount of rainfall the past 24 hours. New owner beside me just dug a new water hole. No corn there.

6. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Your being catfished. As in TRANSmission problems. As in the capital of Thailand is Bangkok. Packing heat! Has what KISS referred to as a Love Gun!

7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I have yet to decide what to plant on my side of the pond. It is directly beside the line, and I already have a small stand of mature bald cypress there. It won't be corn, though.

"Fog/Mist
    73°F
    Humidity 90%
    Wind Speed Calm
    Barometer 29.95 in (1013.8 mb)
    Dewpoint 70°F (21°C)
    Visibility 2.00 mi
    Last update 22 Aug 6:53 am CDT"

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Good morning, Lord Bowfinger. Seen any geese lately?

9. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Maybe BM will have a good day an muster up the strength to chime in. Just go easy on him if he does. The mind is still able, the body just doesn’t react the same.

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I shall interpret such as a big fat no, you have failed, whereas I have not this morning.

11. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I'm with FF ……….. I don't think you need it to be an acre. Smaller is better.

12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Put it on ignore otherwise all you see is a bunch of gibberish.

13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Meh, bunch of jealous hunters not seeing any geese it seems. Bet I can have geese visiting my neighbor's pond without corn. They will be all about my bald cypress seeds soon enough. Ha! I may build a waterfall down Persimmon Hill leading into it.

14. KyThunder

KyThunder Fawn

Jun 2, 2019
    West KY
    It just depends. There is no one size fits all.

15. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Could you structure it to flood in different stages?