How bad a call can you get away with?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by theprofessor, May 8, 2020.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    I’m new to this, and I’m pretty bad at it. I just haven’t seen many birds in the wild, or had the time to practice.

how bad can a guy suck at calling turkey’s before he’s just wasting his time?

Have you heard ridiculous squawks that resulted in dead birds?

Thanks y’all.

Jay Blankenship likes this.
  2. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Depends on the mood the bird is in, in my opinion. Some of the absolute worst calling ive ever heard came from real hens. If a tom isnt in the mood to work, a competition caller wont bring him in. If he is in the mood, you can just about call them in with a kazoo and a whistle.

3. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Just make very very few sounds, a little goes a long ways

BootsOn27 and Drahts like this.
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    In my opinion, for what it’s worth, you’ll kill more turkeys with woodsmanship than with good calling.

I’m a mediocre caller at best, but I spend a lot time in the areas I hunt and I pay attention to the areas turkeys use in the spring.

Also, if you’re dealing with henned up birds you are fighting a losing battle. Wait until later in the day when hens go to nest. Toms get lonely and are more susceptible to being called in.

jacinda, Jack Ryan, BootsOn27 and 5 others like this.
  5. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    This ^^^^^^ ..... and like someone else said, live hens sound nothing like competition callers. If you can make a yelp, your calling is ok.

BootsOn27 likes this.
  6. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I agree, with all the guys, posts above me here, , I wouldnt be afraid to call tho,

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’ve heard stories of turkey’s being called in ,by pulling rusty barb wire on a fence post .

rockhousehunter likes this.
  8. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I was going to say the same thing. Most hunters can out call the real hens, lol.

BootsOn27 and dirtstalker like this.
  9. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    What the heck lol? Does rusty wire on a fence post really make a noise? I know I make a noise when I get caught on a rusty fence. I actually got caught on a tight new waist high barb wire fence this turkey season and took me dang near 10 minutes to unhook my scrotum from the fence without tearing my pants and myself lol.

BootsOn27, FOWLER2671, Drahts and 3 others like this.
  10. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    It was a statement ,made in a book by ray eye, using it as an example , if a turkey is hot enough ,all you need is the rhythm.

Attached Files:

RLWEBB and rockhousehunter like this.
  11. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    Well this is all very reassuring. And entertaining. I didn’t know anyone’s SKRÖT was gonna get involved.

I’m still putting the over/under at about 20% chance of me killing one this season.

12. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    You think highly of yourself, I was going with 2% hahaha.

13. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    That's pretty neat, thanks for the page and he's right.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  14. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I respectfully disagree. Competition callers can't out call a real hen, much less most hunters. What most perceive in the calling of a real hen as a mistake, is actually emotion and inflection. Every slip, squeek, whit, or wine from a real hen is communicating something to the other turkeys. You don't have to be a champion caller to kill turkeys, but even if you are , you can't compete with a real hen.

Jack Ryan, BootsOn27, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  15. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 10 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Here's a tip for crossing fence .. carry a 3 foot piece of garden hose split down the middle. When you come to fence place it over the wire and cross, fold it put in vest and go. It'll save your camo and your jewels

Jack Ryan, riverboss, Feedman and 2 others like this.