How are you food plots/ prep goin?

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by James Scott White, Jul 19, 2021 at 9:11 AM.

1. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    I never have time to do all I really want to do when it comes to food plots. I usually make big plans then I get busy while July rolls around and I still haven’t started prepping my food plot beds. Today I will finally be spraying 2-3 new plots in the woods- all are about 3/4 to an acre in size. Hope I’m not too late. My beans have been in since early June and my buckwheat has been in about 3 weeks. I’m going to be sowing right into the buckwheat for one plot. Same mix I’ll be using on the 3 new plots I’m spraying today- (clover, chicory, &cereal grains). I’m gonna do 2 sprayings and then broadcast straight into the thatch in late august or so.

My question is, how are your food plots coming along? What success and failures have you had so far this year? Whatcha planting? Thanks for sharing! Good luck!

2. DaveO

DaveO 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Beans & clover here with both doing well. Have you ever tried radishes? I keep hearing they are a great early season plot but have zero experience with them

James Scott White likes this.
  3. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
  4. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 8 pointer

Nov 28, 2013

Looks like you got the soil tests just right.

PrimeTine, bondhu, mac0492 and 2 others like this.
  5. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    I tried some radishes and turnips last year for the first time. I’m not doing any this year tho I don’t believe. It’s not that I wouldn’t recommend them but I don’t recommend them if you have limited food in your area. I tried them in small quantity in 2 plots. One of them they demolished before they even got 6 inches tall in late September and the other plot they didn’t eat at all until after season was over. Winter grains like wheat and rye seem to pull deer way better on my property. What I will say is that they work as a good nurse crop for clover- as do the winter grains.

DaveO likes this.
  6. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I just put 2 in yesterday. One has soybean, sunflower, sun hemp, buckwheat, and sorghum and I threw some corn in there cause I'm gonna fence it. It's meant for late season food, at least that is my intention. The other was oats, some forage brassica, a lil leftover alfalfa seed and some 3 yr old Wintergreens from WI that I threw out there to get rid of it.

My alfalfa/clover field is looking nice!
    IMG_1385.jpg

I have another field of the same on the opposite side of the farm that is looking good too. Another straight clover field is looking good after taking a couple cattle beatdowns. The last 2 weeks with rain has been good to em. I have 2 more fields to put in, and I have to till my buckwheat in, in a couple weeks and plant something there. The buckwheat will prolly be back too but that's good for the bees. Hope we don't go dry to long.

DaveO and James Scott White like this.
  7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

What kind of weed killer did you use?

Hooves? :D

Meatstick likes this.
  8. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Damn Meat, leave a few bags for the rest of us, lol. I have no doubt that the end of you will be going to put more corn out and be killed by a 250lb. coon.

Meatstick and NOCAMST like this.
  9. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    We plant about an acre or two of winter wheat on Labor Day weekend. Don't really hunt it much but its pretty. We usually hunt other places back in the woods.

James Scott White likes this.