How are the birds working

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Randy1974, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    Just a question for all the people that hunted youth season how are the birds working are they goblin on roost, hen up coming to calls . Can you call aggressive or soft and suttal.

2. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    I hunted all day Saturday and all day Sunday. Never heard a gobble after they came down from the limb. I normally hunt with out a decoy, and just call. Birds came to a call Saturday morning. Daughter killed a Jake. My son missed a gobbler of a lifetime Saturday morning at 45 yards. We changed locations in the same field after lunch. Got the same gobbler to respond. He hung up at 70 yards. "Thought" a decoy might bring him in that afternoon the rest of the way. He was no where to be seen, but 2 long beards came in, and he killed one. Don't know if that helps.

3. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    Lots of people think we are ahead of the game since nice winter/ weather just wondered what last weekend showed

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I'm close to the southern state line on the far western end.

Tennessee statewide turkey season opened this past weekend and reports from co-workers just across the line....birds worked really well.

Which I've heard mixed results locally on KY's youth weekend . But I'll still stand on the mindset our numbers in general are down from poor hatches in this part of the world.

But I do think we're ahead of schedule by a couple weeks from a lot of perspectives. But it is what it is and mileage varies pending where your at in Ky.

5. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    I agree with ya 100% down in numbers weather has been good nothing we can do about it. ( Just hunt and do what we do)

6. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    Right now where my grandson and I hunt they are tailing the hens all day,which always makes it tough.They gobble good on the roost and not so much on the ground.I have to agree with JD I think the overall numbers are down !

7. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    Well maybe when season comes in they will be looking for hens more than following them around. I would think if weather stays nice the hens will want to sneak off and nest.

8. childersb24

childersb24 8 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    Birds were hammering Saturday on and off the roost. I called in a big bird for my nephew and he killed him. Sunday my brother told me him and his boys never heard a bird on the roost but had 5 jakes and 1 Tom come in silent to his decoys. Both of his boys doubled one one of the jakes and the long beard. 3 dead turkeys in 2 days. I think the population is up in central ky.

9. 1badDart

1badDart 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    W. KY
    I went to my brothers farm yesterday am listening and only heard two birds gobble on an adjoining farm. Never heard a gobble after 0615.

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I made a couple of calls to some friends an they said that birds have been working really well the past couple of weeks

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They were going strong out back near all day today. More gobbles around mid day than I have heard in a while. Just was outside and two still going at it.

12. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Never heard a bird where i took my grandson. Looking really grim for season opener. It happens to other folks but never me...until this year. Pretty bummed at this point. Dont hear any birds in my locale. Its never been a hotspot, but usually at least 2 in area. Not yet anyway!

13. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2011
    Carlisle county, KY
    They were gobbling their heads off around here. We had at least 6 different birds gobbling from the roost and they kept going hot after hitting the ground. Even had a hen get between us and most of the birds we were listening to and still had a nice bird come in running. He gobbled once about 100 yards out and I assumed he was heading toward the hen. About 20 minutes later he came out of no where at a dead run and locked up in full strut in front of the hen decoy. Put on quite a show and I thought he was going to beat up on my jake decoy. He was so worked up he didn't even hear me telling my nephew to get the shotgun up or pay any attention to my attempts to get him to raise his head. I think we are in for a good season.

14. Mountanman1

Mountanman1 Fawn

Apr 14, 2017
    Dillon, Mt, 59725
    Me and Cuz Strickland call loud and aggressive. Mostly I am too lazy to get up, so I don't. never killed a bird before 11:00.
    By that time hens are on the nest, young birds anxious to score will lead a big boy in, espec to aggressive box call. You just know a self respecting big boy ain't gonna let the youngster get that hot hen...... works on Easterns and now that I live in Montana found it works on Mirriams also. Hunting late is more fun and less work. I hunted the same live oak in north Florida for close to 20 yrs. Be where they want to be, small fields with dust bowls are best.