Horses on WMA's

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by maxcam, Oct 4, 2010.

1. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Governor Steve Beshear and the Kentucky Horse Council are coming after our WMA's !

I say NOT WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!!!

What say ye?

2. rgb62

rgb62 6 pointer

Feb 12, 2007
    I brought this up a while back when Letcher County built a trail on Pine Mountain WMA. It didn't generate much interest or concern at the time. Hopefully, folks look at what's going on around the state and realize that it isn't an isolated incident and voice their concern to the governor and their legislators. I complained to KDFW at the time, but I think it needs to go higher.

3. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    I agree...... Now they are talking about spending sportsman's dollars to build facilities on Yellowbank WMA......

4. damon kustes

damon kustes 6 pointer

Jan 16, 2002
    louisville
    This is my perspective on horses at WMA

I am 57 years old now and have been able to buy my own property and
    get in on a lease.(thank god) but Years ago we used to hunt WMA's all the time because That was the only place we had to go to. LBL. Fort Campbell, Fort Know , Yellowbank, West Ky, Ballard county,Taylorsville etc , Etc.

We quit hunting them because there was soooooo much competition there and
    the hunting really sucked because of it.

NOW they want to add in Horses........!!!!!! good grief Charlie Brown.....

If I had only the WMA's to hunt today I would just QUIT !!!!

There isn't room for the horse peolple on the WMA's unless it is their PLAN to run the hunters out......but that may be just the plan.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Glad that I didn't vote for Beshear. How in the heck did he come up with the idea that he could just take over the WMA's and give free access to all groups.

This must be his version of redistrubition of wealth.

6. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    The Horse Counsil has big money and we have the numbers.........

We have to have a united front and flex our muscle..... No one organization can carry the freight on this deal.......

Based on what I have seen and heard, the horse owners are devious and manipulative. They met with the governor today after telling the LKS that they weren't interested in infringing on the WMA's......

I'm sure they have members trolling this board as we speak.......

I hope they are ready for a fight........

7. I'm ready too
    True...and true

8. His ol lady has as much to do with it as he does. Im ready to fight as well.

9. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    If they are in fact using our dollars from hunting and fishing , then not only do we have the numbers, we also have the money to stop it.

It would not take much effort for us to post petitions in every gun shop or gun club in the state.............if that don't work we could pitch in and get BF to sue the ass off those who go forward with it.

10. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    After reading some of the Otter Creek survey (I know not related directly but see where i am going here), it read as though KDFWR has to be very careful about what they spend money on and how they justify their spending so as to receive the Federal Pittman-Robertson funds. If this land grab by horse lovers is going to jeopardize KDFWR's ability to serve its true constituents then we need to fight this tooth and nail. Honestly, we should fight it tooth and nail anyway. I can supply you with many pictures where horses have destroyed multi use trails and environmentally sensitive areas when they were used in a responsible fashion. I can only imagine the destruction they could cause if ridden in a negligent manner.

Better find a group of senators or representatives (state or federal, hopefully both) to help us with this cause.

11. teacher

teacher 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    Flemingsburg, KY
    Where has everybody been? I have been dealing with this stuff for years.. There has always been horse trails at Clay and Fleming WMA, my only hunting grounds..

12. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Got any stories to share for those that havent experienced this problem?

13. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    I've got one. We lease land next to Yellowbank WMA. One New Years day a few years back, I was bowhunting that evening when I started hearing a pistol going off, dogs barking, and people laughing. In a few moments about 20 horseback riders came through the middle our lease with a couple of dogs and some dumb*** shooting a pistol in the air like he was some kind of cowboy. Needless to say I was pissed. I got down out of the trees and confronted the tail-end of the group that I was able to catch. They explained that they got off the marked trails and got lost, so they thought they would cut across our farm. I thought part of the WMA rules were: STAY ON THE MARKED TRAILS!!. I bet if they had ran across a fence in their way, it would have been cut. I am totally against letting them have any more of our WMA's unless they pay their fair share.

14. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Im not even remotely interested in them paying their fare share......... The last thing hunters need is more competition for hunting ground......

The state parks dont offer hunting so let the horse riders have all of them they can stand....... If they can build landing strips for small aircraft and manage it then they can afford to cut a few trails and build a few stalls for the horses.......

The KDFW cannot even afford to put in an outhouse or shower for hunters but we are suppose to build and maintain corrals and stables.......?

15. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    Doug, I was told yesterday that "The Yellowbank project of a parking lot and campground for trailriders has been stopped. Horses are still allowed but must stay on trails...and out of the campground" Have you heard anything differently?