Hopefully people read and understand this article

That may be true, but if it isn't surprising, why is every state doing studies to try to figure out why bird numbers have dipped so dramatically? States that have had birds forever are experiencing the same thing over the last 10 years or so.
A study is the first “major” (and easiest) tactic a game commission can throw money at and say they’ve started measures to combat the decline. It’s the first small thing you can do for a problem with many variables.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
A study is the first “major” (and easiest) tactic a game commission can throw money at and say they’ve started measures to combat the decline. It’s the first small thing you can do for a problem with many variables.
I highly doubt multiple states would be investing in extensive studies, tagging programs, etc if they thought the population decline was "normal".

Greyghost7

Fawn
May 2, 2022
Texas
It’s not just reaping, it’s the male decoys. Finally people are noticing and finally the discussions are getting serious about the tactics used in the turkey world these days. Alabama has lit the fuse to ban decoys along with already banning reaping. Maybe other states will follow and turn this downhill slide around.

Think many turkey hunters who use reaping/fanning to harvest turkeys. Are truly missing something that calling into range a Tom. I understand they may use a call, but from videos I seen many don't. They just fanning/reaping and the Tom reaction to that. The thrill of turkey hunting is like a chess game to me. I enjoy the moves to get into position to harvest a Tom. I call to him either he will respond and come in(his move) OR he move off and then I have to adjust to get ahead(my move). It shouldn't be about going out and killing a turkey...if so this will set us way back to Era when turkey number were near extinction. I'm all for shorten season, bird limits shorten or fall season closed. We as hunters must be will to help make changes to increase overall population. If not they have NO reason to complain about low numbers of birds. We as hunters must take steps now to do our part to help increase our flock.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
Think many turkey hunters who use reaping/fanning to harvest turkeys. Are truly missing something that calling into range a Tom. I understand they may use a call, but from videos I seen many don't. They just fanning/reaping and the Tom reaction to that. The thrill of turkey hunting is like a chess game to me. I enjoy the moves to get into position to harvest a Tom. I call to him either he will respond and come in(his move) OR he move off and then I have to adjust to get ahead(my move). It shouldn't be about going out and killing a turkey...if so this will set us way back to Era when turkey number were near extinction. I'm all for shorten season, bird limits shorten or fall season closed. We as hunters must be will to help make changes to increase overall population. If not they have NO reason to complain about low numbers of birds. We as hunters must take steps now to do our part to help increase our flock.
This dude trying to start it up again haha. METHODS of harvest don’t matter, just the damn harvest numbers, why people can’t see this is beyond me. Not to mention, I think you’re the one truly missing out by not fanning some turkeys.

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
Been reading all this. Never reaped a turkey. I tried once but the Tom never saw me. His hens did and they acted quite interesting. This was in timber on a logging road. So, whay ball park % of toms thst fanned come in running or go the other way?

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
Been reading all this. Never reaped a turkey. I tried once but the Tom never saw me. His hens did and they acted quite interesting. This was in timber on a logging road. So, whay ball park % of toms thst fanned come in running or go the other way?
I’d say same statistics as strutting decoys, less than 50/50. I mean they either come or they don't, so that's 50% I guess. I've probably fanned in about 7 - 10 turkeys for me and my boys. I've also had about equal experience of the fan not working or even the Tom going the other direction. It is NOT a foolproof method at all. In fact, sometimes you may run gobblers off when you show the fan that you would of killed if you had kept it by your side and just called instead.

Last edited:

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
I edited my comment above for a little more information of my personal experience. Also, I've had just as much success in the timber as I have in the open.

Chimpy

8 pointer
Jun 29, 2004
Wilder, ky, USA.
I’ve got 10-12 stacked on an upper shelf in garage. I’ve got three under the house from last year.
I used to do the same thing. But then I ended up with carpet beetles, which destroyed a number of my mounts, deer, coyote, fox, partridge, grouse, duck, and badger. I have over 40 mounts in my condo, but one day the bugs came. I couldn't figure out how they got in...you can barely see them. Then I noticed all my turkey fans in my garage were infested - I'm guessing a few hitched a ride inside with me. Now I only keep one fan, and I keep it in a garbage bag.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
I used to do the same thing. But then I ended up with carpet beetles, which destroyed a number of my mounts, deer, coyote, fox, partridge, grouse, duck, and badger. I have over 40 mounts in my condo, but one day the bugs came. I couldn't figure out how they got in...you can barely see them. Then I noticed all my turkey fans in my garage were infested - I'm guessing a few hitched a ride inside with me. Now I only keep one fan, and I keep it in a garbage bag.
That’s just awful. I have about 15 or so in my garage as well but I have them nailed to a plywood wall surrounding my garage almost like a section wallpapered with fans. Been there about 15 years or so and not had a problem, hope I don’t. I’ve thrown a lot away just sometimes get a notion to keep a few.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
I had 3 old fans destroyed this year in my basement from mice best I can tell. They eat the hunk of meat then the feathers just fall apart. Then first one killed this year I spread the fan in my garage to dry, went back 2 days later, feathers scattered across the floor

hitch

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2008
I had 3 old fans destroyed this year in my basement from mice best I can tell. They eat the hunk of meat then the feathers just fall apart. Then first one killed this year I spread the fan in my garage to dry, went back 2 days later, feathers scattered across the floor
Fly squirrels got mine once.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
I just don’t feel safe doing it in the timber like a field.
I understand completely. Even though you may be hunting on private property, doesn't always mean there won't be a trespasser waiting or sneaking on ya. It's a risk either way, I just try to stay as safe as possible, its not a tactic I employ all the time just when I think its gonna be advantageous.

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
I understand completely. Even though you may be hunting on private property, doesn't always mean there won't be a trespasser waiting or sneaking on ya. It's a risk either way, I just try to stay as safe as possible, its not a tactic I employ all the time just when I think its gonna be advantageous.
I’ll just stick to leaving the fans on the turkeys 😂 but I’m sure it is very fun tactic

Latest posts