Hook up or you will be fined!

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by rackhanger, Feb 25, 2016.

1. rackhanger

rackhanger 6 pointer

Jul 5, 2012
    N east,
    So guys ive mentioned this here before some time ago. Heres the story, local sanitation district comes by says they will be putting in public sewage and they need me to sign giving them easement to be on property in the event they have to come back and work on it after completion,so they say!Ive told them that my septic is performing up to code and that i dont have a need for their sewage @ their minimum rate of 30$ per month.I also shared with the sewage dept manager that i am on a fixed income and that i cant afford the monthly premiums even though they are proposing free tap fees.He has indicated with new epa law that i am forced to hook up-they will take me to court.I indicated that we cannot afford court or their their rates and politely declined.So as you can read from the letter now i am facing fines sanctions etc hell maybe even jail time who knows ! What i have a problem with is one they are telling me i have no choice even though my septic and leach lines are up to code and while also telling me this is the law ,there are at least 4-5 homes on our road that are not hooking up to sewer because sanitation district has decided it isnt feasible to run line to these homes ! But yet they say law requires having it! Let her rip tater chips tell me how to beat these leach suckers!!
    Signed,
    Broke as a joke 2-25-2016 11;05;09 AM.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yeah they tend to go overboard with things. Our Indiana home was on septic and the town made a agreement with one of the large steel mills to treat sewage at their plant. They wanted everyone to sign up and start paying for sewage lines and treatment yet none of it was in place. We were not on wells anymore as a NWI water company had ran lines and most everyone had hooked up due to bad well water in the area. They wanted to base how much you paid on water bills. I ask and one town meeting if were we to get credit for any money we paid at a later date to cover the cost of sewage bills....Nope. Needless to say it did not go over well with the town residents. We moved south before anything was done and I don't know the outcome.

3. chadwimc

chadwimc 12 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Earth
    If your budget is so tight that $30.00 a month breaks you, you may want to consider selling out...

4. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    How you like your "land of the free"?

5. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    My dad dealt with the same exact thing a few years ago. His backyard backs up to dixie highway and Ken Toweries tires and a Rallys fast food wanted to open a store right behind him. In order for them to open, everyone on my dads road had to have sewers installed. It was going to cost about 5K. Btw, MSD in Louisville bases your sewer bill on the amount of water used. He refused and after losing in court, had to spend 5k in order for those 2 businesses to open. Just the way the liberals work and nothing you can likely do except bend over and grab your ankles. Gotta love freedom.

6. rackhanger

rackhanger 6 pointer

Jul 5, 2012
    N east,
    Your right i might consider running away ! lol .Moving would be much cheaper.:eagerness:

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Communist Politics that's what it seems like,do to people the way they want

8. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    30 bucks at a minimum it says. The way they do it around here is, if our water bill is 30dollars, our sewage is 60 for a total of 90 a month but it is always higher than that.

9. ocbowhunter

ocbowhunter 6 pointer

Apr 30, 2005
    LaGrange, KY
    You are not taking in to account two other factors. You have to take the price of service to your septic system and prorate that to a monthly figure. I am an appraiser. Being hooked to sewers vs septic will up your property value of your house and market appeal.

If on a fixed budget, I would back down my cable or something else to get sewer hooked up at no expense to me.

10. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    FWIW, after you're connected, then in a few years when it's discovered that the system doesn't meet EPA regulations, you'll have to deal with the EPA consent decree charge added to your bill. Which is fixed each month, regardless of much water (or sewage) you use. In Louisville, that charge is more than my sewer bill itself.

11. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Same here

My sewer bill used to be the same as my water bill. They decided they needed more money. Last month my water bill was $57.00 and the sewer was $114.00 for a total of $171.00. I am moving to the woods.:mad:

12. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Our sewer bill is always the same as the water bill. Water bill is $30, the sewer will be $30.

But it is a shame that you MUST hook up to a sewer. That is an overreach of Government if you ask me.

13. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    Just from my prospective, take it as you wish.
    I am on a septic system North of Tallahassee FL. Its 22 years old and I have no problems. Average life expectancy of these drainfields range from 15-30 years in my soil type. Average drainfield replacement cost is around $3000.
    My job is inspecting and permitting septic systems, Ive done this for the last 13 years. In my County we don't require hook up when a centralized sewer is made available until your septic system fails and then you are required to tap in. A sewer line came through 1 mile North of me a few years ago. The tap fee for connecting was $7500. With the age of my system, If I was offered a free tap in fee I would take em up on it and be happy.

14. rackhanger

rackhanger 6 pointer

Jul 5, 2012
    N east,
    How can i be forced to take this? Thats the part that i dont understand especially when there is nothing wrong with the system i have.

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Looks like the county passed a law forcing you to do so. Might be under the table Closed door illegal meeting deal but looks like they have it on the books. Stuff like this one needs to keep up with when first brought up. Should have been some notice in a local paper about a meeting to discuss this issue at one point with public imput.