Homemade turkey calls

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I make pot calls. Glass, and slate. I have some crystal and aluminum but haven't done any of those yet.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I made one attempt at a wing bone call, but cooked too long and ruined it. Gonna try again with this year's birds.

silentarcher

6 pointer
Feb 27, 2013
west ky
I've made several but haven't made any in a year or so. I've made river cane and wingbone yelpers, various wood yelpers, wood tube calls, and a pretty nice tortoise shell slate call with wormy chestnut/walnut striker. It sounds really good. Would love to make more of them but its not often I come up on the empty shells. I make all mine by hand with basic hand and power tools. I don't have any of the nice equipment to use so it generally takes me longer.lol But it's addictive and even sweeter when I do complete them.

shaman

10 pointer
I make box calls and pot calls, but it is just for me and the family

IMG_7036-12.jpg

IMG_9640.jpg

The Shamanic line of calls comes with the lifetime guarantee that the turkeys will not laugh at you.

Lately, I've taken on an apprentice. Honorable Granddaughter #1, AKA the Mooselette now makes her own pot calls:

3328.jpg

turkeyhunter91

12 pointer
Apr 3, 2007
several years ago me and dad made some box calls, strikers and 1 or 2 pot calls and several wing bones. we hadn't made any calls in a several years up until the last few days, i had made some turkey and deer plaques for a few of them from the last few years but not any calls until the last few days, i have been turning down some trumpets experimenting with different size holes in them. this morning i turned down 1 that has finally gotten the sound pretty close to what i want. i just finished lunch and am getting ready to head back to the shop, i think im gonna try build another american chestnut with the hole dimensions from the walnut 1 i made this morning and see how it works. i did make a walnut striker yesterday just because connor has been trying to get him 1 turned out and i was showing him how to do it. my favorite striker and box call is ones that dad made, i have called a lot of birds in with them and like someone else it is cool calling 1 in with something you made.

Last edited:

Trapper Delk

12 pointer
Feb 10, 2020
Central Kentucky.
I made one from bottom of coffee cup and plastic Ash tray once, couple of us sitting talking one morning and I happen to flip cup over it would sound little but sand it little better, I said I could kill one with it then there was a bet $20, all I was aloud was sand paper and one striker,. It was ugly but I got that 20 bucks still have the old call somewhere

Jay Blankenship

6 pointer
Mar 22, 2018
OH
Justin Hogan has it going on here.....the bucks this lad lays down and the birds he calls in are not joke.....Team Realtree thinks so too.....check em out.....it won’t disappoint.....he’s the real deal fellas....

Latest posts