Homemade turkey calls

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Doug 16, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Doug 16

Doug 16 6 pointer

Jun 7, 2020
    New york
    Any one make there own turkey calls here

2. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I make pot calls. Glass, and slate. I have some crystal and aluminum but haven't done any of those yet.

3. hossamassey

hossamassey 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2006
    I make pot calls. I like playing around with different types of combos.

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I made one attempt at a wing bone call, but cooked too long and ruined it. Gonna try again with this year's birds.

5. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    I've made several but haven't made any in a year or so. I've made river cane and wingbone yelpers, various wood yelpers, wood tube calls, and a pretty nice tortoise shell slate call with wormy chestnut/walnut striker. It sounds really good. Would love to make more of them but its not often I come up on the empty shells. I make all mine by hand with basic hand and power tools. I don't have any of the nice equipment to use so it generally takes me longer.lol But it's addictive and even sweeter when I do complete them.

6. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I make box calls and pot calls, but it is just for me and the family

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Shamanic line of calls comes with the lifetime guarantee that the turkeys will not laugh at you.

Lately, I've taken on an apprentice. Honorable Granddaughter #1, AKA the Mooselette now makes her own pot calls:

[​IMG]

7. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Dark Cloud, a good friend of mine, used to make them. I have several of his.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  8. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Here is what your wingbone should end up looking like! Ron Jordan built that.

wingbone1.jpg wingbone2.jpg

9. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Been awhile now

Attached Files:

Timholt70, Doug 16 and barney like this.
  10. Doug 16

Doug 16 6 pointer

Jun 7, 2020
    New york
    20210127_120248.jpg here's 2 I made both all cherry.

Timholt70, barney and Dark Cloud like this.
  11. turkeyhunter91

turkeyhunter91 10 pointer

Apr 3, 2007
    several years ago me and dad made some box calls, strikers and 1 or 2 pot calls and several wing bones. we hadn't made any calls in a several years up until the last few days, i had made some turkey and deer plaques for a few of them from the last few years but not any calls until the last few days, i have been turning down some trumpets experimenting with different size holes in them. this morning i turned down 1 that has finally gotten the sound pretty close to what i want. i just finished lunch and am getting ready to head back to the shop, i think im gonna try build another american chestnut with the hole dimensions from the walnut 1 i made this morning and see how it works. i did make a walnut striker yesterday just because connor has been trying to get him 1 turned out and i was showing him how to do it. my favorite striker and box call is ones that dad made, i have called a lot of birds in with them and like someone else it is cool calling 1 in with something you made.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Trapper Delk likes this.
  12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Those are some really nice looking calls that you guys have made.

Doug 16 likes this.
  13. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
  14. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I made one from bottom of coffee cup and plastic Ash tray once, couple of us sitting talking one morning and I happen to flip cup over it would sound little but sand it little better, I said I could kill one with it then there was a bet $20, all I was aloud was sand paper and one striker,. It was ugly but I got that 20 bucks still have the old call somewhere

15. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship 6 pointer

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    Justin Hogan has it going on here.....the bucks this lad lays down and the birds he calls in are not joke.....Team Realtree thinks so too.....check em out.....it won’t disappoint.....he’s the real deal fellas....