Homemade Scent elimination feedback

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
I still do all that scent stuff but I'm a firm believer that if the wind is in your favor, you can wear cologne and they won't bust you. I also believe the opposite, if you do every single scent free thing you can and the wind is not in your favor, you're busted.
Very true. I think a lot of scent elimination products are mainly confidence builders.

hunter40502

10 pointer
Mar 5, 2014
Washington County
I was asked to comment on this.

1) For those of y'all that missed it, here is my link to the Shamanic Baking Soda Method:

2) Hydrogen Peroxide is a powerful bleaching agent. I wouldn't want to put it on camo clothing.This is what your Great Granny used to bleach her hair back in the day.

3) Hydrogen Peroxide degrades rather quickly. If it doesn't bleach your clothes, it's because it has lost its strength.

4) Sodium Bicarb acts in a bunch of ways to reduce scent, but one of the least effective ways to use it is to dilute it with water and spray it on your clothes. It works much better if you shake it on dry while the clothes are being stored. My hunting duds produce a cloud of baking soda dust when I shake them.

Overall, I've been watching scent reduction crazes come and go for 40-some years. I've seen chlorophyll, charcoal, ozone-- you name it. Honestly, dry baking soda is the only substance I've seen that really does any good.

I just washed the duds I used during Turkey Season, after air drying outside, I packed them away with a handful of baking soda in a garbage bag. They'll be ready for Deer Season.
Thanks Shaman. I wonder why people recommend using hydrogen peroxide.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Overall, I've been watching scent reduction crazes come and go for 40-some years. I've seen chlorophyll, charcoal, ozone-- you name it. Honestly, dry baking soda is the only substance I've seen that really does any good.

I just washed the duds I used during Turkey Season, after air drying outside, I packed them away with a handful of baking soda in a garbage bag. They'll be ready for Deer Season.

Ozone isn’t a fad, it works. Before the woods and in the woods.

shaman

10 pointer
Ozone isn’t a fad, it works. Before the woods and in the woods.

I've written about ozone before. I've got an industrial ozone generator. I used it on a rental property I was trying to unload, trying to get the musty smell out of a basement that had flooded.

Did it work? Yes. If I turned on the generator and let it rip, I could come back down the basement and smell noticeably less odor. However, it was not removing the source of the odor. The smell came right back. That's one of the reasons I recommend baking soda. It goes a long way to dealing with body odors by inhibiting bacteria growth. I would also mention that the first few times I used the generator, I had it too close to the floor and it left a noticeable bleach shadow on the indoor/outdoor carpet.

Secondly, There is a lot of synthetic material in modern hunting clothes that degrade with exposure to ozone.

BTW: I did unload that turkey successfully last year. I sold it to a guy as-is. He ended up removing all the paneling and carpeting in the basement --- ripped it back to the studs. I was invited back 9 months later to look at his work. The basement still stunk of mold.

Last edited:

shaman

10 pointer
Thanks Shaman. I wonder why people recommend using hydrogen peroxide.
Hydrogen Peroxide eats organic molecules. In theory it's going to eat anything that causes a stink. However, you have to dilute it way down to make it safe to use as a disinfectant. Remember that H2O2 is used as an oxidizer in liquid fueled rockets. It's powerful stuff. They warn you against using it on European Mounts; it turns a deer skull nice and white, but it also eats the bone itself.

By contrast, I've got fairly new-looking camo duds in original TreBark pattern that have been buried in Baking Soda over 35 years. I've outgrown them, but my youngest son still uses them.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I've written about ozone before. I've got an industrial ozone generator. I used it on a rental property I was trying to unload, trying to get the musty smell out of a basement that had flooded.

Did it work? Yes. If I turned on the generator and let it rip, I could come back down the basement and smell noticeably less odor. However, it was not removing the source of the odor. The smell came right back. That's one of the reasons I recommend baking soda. It goes a long way to dealing with body odors by inhibiting bacteria growth.

Secondly, There are a lot of synthetic material in modern hunting clothes that degrade with exposure to ozone.

BTW: I did unload that turkey successfully last year. I sold it to a guy as-is. He ended up removing all the paneling and carpeting in the basement --- ripped it back to the studs. I was invited back 9 months later to look at his work. The basement still stunk of mold.
In the woods, “WE” are the “source”. That’s why I run ozone in the woods in certain situations.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
How can you prove it works in the woods or anywhere that's not totally enclosed? If you're in a bubble in the woods maybe, but open air, everything exposed with wind currents, not buying what the marketers are selling. And pop up blinds aren't anywhere close to air tight.
When it quits working I’ll let you know and consider 4 years of successful study a fluke. I ground hunt. Hang it over my head and have had deer under 10yards directly down wind walk by me on public ground. In a blind on private I’ve had deer down wind never even flick a tail close enough to spear.

I’ll chalk up once or twice to an updraft but not a dozens of times. I think everybody should do what they like I’m not a salesman, it can be expensive or you can get a 4hr battery unit for $80. I don’t care how anybody enjoys the outdoors but I like ozone, my friends use it, they have had good luck also.

I leave it at home if the winds blowing hard, nothing works then other than some fortune and a cliff to your back.

FF/EMT516

8 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Caneyville, Ky
When it quits working I’ll let you know and consider 4 years of successful study a fluke. I ground hunt. Hang it over my head and have had deer under 10yards directly down wind walk by me on public ground. In a blind on private I’ve had deer down wind never even flick a tail close enough to spear.

I’ll chalk up once or twice to an updraft but not a dozens of times. I think everybody should do what they like I’m not a salesman, it can be expensive or you can get a 4hr battery unit for $80. I don’t care how anybody enjoys the outdoors but I like ozone, my friends use it, they have had good luck also.

I leave it at home if the winds blowing hard, nothing works then other than some fortune and a cliff to your back.
What do you use? Send me a link if you don’t care.

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
I use to put baking soda inside a couple socks and dust myself with it when I got to my stand. I think knight and hale use to have a similar concoction/technique. Couple bottles of commercial scent killer does us so I go that route now. We also use scent free detergent, dryer sheets, body wash. But u can find all these outside of the sporting goods dept way cheaper.

PUBLIC RAT

10 pointer
Feb 18, 2014
I use to put baking soda inside a couple socks and dust myself with it when I got to my stand. I think knight and hale use to have a similar concoction/technique. Couple bottles of commercial scent killer does us so I go that route now. We also use scent free detergent, dryer sheets, body wash. But u can find all these outside of the sporting goods dept way cheaper.
Yeah I've seen David Hale use it years ago when they were on TV. I believe they called it stealth dust in a sock.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I think the scent elimination products help and I’m not a salesman for anyone. Nothing is full proof. Just some personal observations through the years. I think playing the wind is probably best but that’s impossible where I hunt. It will hit your face and 5 mins later hit the back of your head. If it’s only a confidence builder then that’s not a bad thing. We’ve had these posts for years. I’m sure we’ll debate deer calling a time or two this year as well. LOL.