Homemade Scent elimination feedback

hunter40502

10 pointer
Mar 5, 2014
Washington County
I recently watched several videos on this topic. But people use different portions with the following 3 ingredients:
1. Distilled water
2. Baking Powder
3. 3% Hydrogen Peroxide.

Here are three of the last ones I watched:
1. 2 cups water, 1/4 cup baking soda, 16 oz. hydrogen peroxide
2. 2 liters water, 1/4 cup baking soda, 16 oz. hydrogen peroxide
3. 1/2 gallon of water, 1/4 cup baking soda, 16 oz. hydrogen peroxide

What do you all think would be the best? The difference is clearly the proportion of the baking soda in the water/hp mixture, but not sure which is best. My intuition tells me the more concentrated the baking soda the better, but not sure. Thoughts? Thanks, guys and gals!!

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
As long as the clothes/gear are “color fast”. Peroxide is hard on rubber and elastic as well.

I wash my clothes in baking soda or hypoallergenic laundry detergent (generic Dreft) then hang them outside a few days. I sometimes put them in a tote with a few cedar sprigs once dry.

KY_Fried

12 pointer
Nov 13, 2003
Foster, KY, USA.
I used to boil cedar boughs for a couple minutes, strain it, and added a little baking soda. I never measured anything though but it seemed do the trick and the cedar scent lasted for days.
I just use unscented detergent and soap and that's it anymore.

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
You’ll drive yourself crazy trying to be scent free or eliminate scent. The second you breath air out of your lungs or sweat or do any other bodily function your putting off scent. If you sit in your vehicle while wearing your hunting clothes you’ve just picked up all that scent. I just try to keep my clothes clean using odorless detergent, don’t eat smelly food in the woods, and play the wind. I get busted sometimes but also get pretty close others.

hunter40502

10 pointer
Mar 5, 2014
Washington County
You’ll drive yourself crazy trying to be scent free or eliminate scent. The second you breath air out of your lungs or sweat or do any other bodily function your putting off scent. If you sit in your vehicle while wearing your hunting clothes you’ve just picked up all that scent. I just try to keep my clothes clean using odorless detergent, don’t eat smelly food in the woods, and play the wind. I get busted sometimes but also get pretty close others.
Right, do what you can to be clean and play the wind is all you can do.

elmucho277

6 pointer
Aug 4, 2009
northern ky
I tried making that concoction last year, though I cannot remember the ratios of water to peroxide. Anyway, the finished product still had a noticeable smell to it so I chucked it. Maybe using a smaller ratio of peroxide would be better, but I don't think I'm going to mess with it anymore

wv67

12 pointer
Dec 19, 2017
Southern wva
I wash my clothes in white vinegar ,every other wash it helps with fading , and I have always used mule team borax soap powders getting hard to find , I used to use baking soda in a black trash bag before totes , but now I just play the wind , but I don’t chase bruisers either

shaman

10 pointer
I was asked to comment on this.

1) For those of y'all that missed it, here is my link to the Shamanic Baking Soda Method:

2) Hydrogen Peroxide is a powerful bleaching agent. I wouldn't want to put it on camo clothing.This is what your Great Granny used to bleach her hair back in the day.

3) Hydrogen Peroxide degrades rather quickly. If it doesn't bleach your clothes, it's because it has lost its strength.

4) Sodium Bicarb acts in a bunch of ways to reduce scent, but one of the least effective ways to use it is to dilute it with water and spray it on your clothes. It works much better if you shake it on dry while the clothes are being stored. My hunting duds produce a cloud of baking soda dust when I shake them.

Overall, I've been watching scent reduction crazes come and go for 40-some years. I've seen chlorophyll, charcoal, ozone-- you name it. Honestly, dry baking soda is the only substance I've seen that really does any good.

I just washed the duds I used during Turkey Season, after air drying outside, I packed them away with a handful of baking soda in a garbage bag. They'll be ready for Deer Season.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I have crushed acorns and soaked them in distilled water and strained them put the water in a cheap spray bottle and soaked my clothes if I was hunting oak woods.
If I'm hunting in my favorite holler I smoke my clothes as the neighbors burn wood.

Latest posts