Homemade Dog Box

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
Hey guys, I am looking for some ideas on building a dog box. I have a hitch on the back of my hunting ride that is about 4 ft. wide. Just wondering what anybody else has done or ideas of what to build one out of?

Flash5150

Spike
Nov 30, 2006
soap barrel

Go to your local car wash and ask for one of their empty soap barrels. Cut a door hole in one end and make yourself a door out of plywood or the piece of plastic you cut out if you were careful. I use these for dog houses and they work great. Attach a 2 x 4 or other board to the barrel to keep it from rolling. Virtually free dog box or dog house. I put both a traditional store bought dog house and one of my barrels into my beagle's pen to see which one he would use. The barrel won.

Last edited:

yardboss

6 pointer
Dec 12, 2009
Dry Ridge, KY
Where i work we usually build an angle frame on a small trailer and then add plywood. Its light and sturdy, plus we make it to come apart so its easy to clean.

ducknbuckhunter

10 pointer
Aug 3, 2005
Owensboro/Murray
probably not the best route to put a dog box on a reese hitch platform...i built one a few yrs back..until my dad made a good point...sitting at idle or running down the street for that matter where do you think your exaust goes???i know i have spent too much money and care about my dogs too much to open up that door and find one dead from carbon monoxide exposure

Last edited:

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
I'd keep the dogs off the hitch and up in the bed. I see dogs on the hitch and all I can think about is them getting rear-ended.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
I tell you what, u guys give me a truck and I'll put the dogs in the bed. All I want is some ideas for a dog box. Geez, I take good care of my dogs. You all take care of yours and don't worry about mine. There's always somebody with something smart to say on every thread.

quackrstackr

Welcome to Fantasy Island
Staff member
Nov 19, 2003
The Island
If you don't want opinions or advice on an open forum, best to not put the question out there. I don't see anywhere in your post where you have stated a make and model of the vehicle you are driving.

Let them ride in the seat and you won't have to worry about it.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
I tell you what, u guys give me a truck and I'll put the dogs in the bed. All I want is some ideas for a dog box. Geez, I take good care of my dogs. You all take care of yours and don't worry about mine. There's always somebody with something smart to say on every thread.

You're just a little ray of sunshine, ain'tcha?

Good luck in the future getting your questions answered.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
I've got some good ideas from the other guys on here and I thank you for them. For you other guys, you didn't give me any ideas for a dog box so you didn't answer my question anyway. As for future questions, I don't think you two are the only ones on the forum. I can probably get some answers from somebody else. I hate arguing on a dang computer. Once again, thanks for the ideas from everyone else. I think I'll use some.

deertalker

Banned
Jul 22, 2008
It sounds like maybe you have a car or suv? Does it have luggage racks? If it don't they are a must have for this, anyway get two leashes of exact length, sturdy collar, and a

Latest posts