Home Security System

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
Long time no posts. I thought I would stop back to you folks for your opinions.
We are under contract for purchasing a home and farm (woohooo). It's far off the road and we both work full time jobs so the home will be empty for at least 10 hour a day. With that said other than your firearms...

What Security system do you have and why do you like or dislike them?

Thanks for your opinion and I hope you all are doing great!

Coot_Meurer

10 pointer
Nov 4, 2006
Not here anymore
We had a home like that. The first thing I would suggest is a gate with a chain. The harder it is for someone to get in from the road, the less appealing it is. When we would leave for holidays or something I would put a trail camera up (but well hidden) at the gate.

Now, does that stop the meth head coming in by ATV from the back, NO, but it does limit the number of people that know exactly what you have back there.

In another home, I also took time during renovation to build a false backed closet. Bit of a pain to get in and out of - but for many important documents and expensive things I could put them inside the gun safe, inside the closet, replace the false back, and it was all but invisible.

Brsutton86

12 pointer
Sep 19, 2009
Harrodsburg, KY
I've looked into the cameras lately also. There tons of brands and price ranges to sort through. I'm a believer in a dog in the yard. Some type of bigger dog that barks when people are around. Dad has an Australian shepherd and I guarentee you, you will not get on his porch if he is not home to get Merle to kennel. He's gone alot and it keeps people away. I've got an inside lab that's spoiled. If anyone pulls in my drive she's not familiar with she's at the front door barking which I like. I've debated on getting an in ground fence and adding a German Shepherd to the family. I also have hidden trail cam at the gate of my farm like Coot mentioned. It's positioned to get the license plate # and vehicle description more than anything. It's a shame people just can't leave others property alone and it has to be a headache to protect your things.

Southpaw

10 pointer
Oct 2, 2005
Northern Ky
I agree with these guys a good dog an i have a trail camera on driveway and one on my barn. The barn cam is on video mode. They work very well. My nephew cant fig out how i know hes been fishing. (Slow learner) lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat

12 pointer
Jan 7, 2002
Ledbetter, Ky.
No mater what system you get, get the BEST cameras.

Remember all those times when they put up security camera pictures on TV from the news or TV shows and in some of them you can't ever tell if the person is a man or woman. Got a camera whose pictures will stand up in a court of law, this way there is no question and their lawyer can't do anything.

I have 16 cameras around my place and no mater what I ALWAYS catch the license plates coming into and leaving my driveway. I want to upgrade to where the system will send me an alert to my phone every time someone comes to my doors or windows.

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
A few weeks ago, I had an issue where someone got into my truck parked in my driveway in front of my house one night. They didn't take anything, but I could tell some had gotten in and had rooted through my center console. I have been thinking about getting a trail cam to put in a window of my house that looks right at my driveway and walkway.

Do you think I could get good pictures through a window? Do you think this is a feasible idea?

Snareman2

12 pointer
Feb 25, 2007
Something to think about. Your homeowners insurance will give you a discount if you have a security system, at least mine does. I have thought about getting rid of it and just go with camera to phone, but talk myself out of it. With the discount, it is worth it. I have used trail cameras too.

kymailman98

10 pointer
Dec 20, 2009
Christian County
My house is a half mile off the highway on a private drive that goes thru my farm, so I'm fairly isolated. I have a security system n my house and in my garage. There are sensors on the door and motion detectors. The only problem with it is that I sometimes set it off and get that call from the people who monitor it. I have 2 outside dogs, but they don't bite. I have a gate that I can lock that's out by the highway, so if I have to, I can keep people away. I keep trail cameras up on the back of the place, but have none around the house. That is something I may change.

KY Swamp Beagler

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2011
the swamps of western KY
If you get a dog for security make sure it's the kind that barks like crazy. Those are the ones keep thieves away. When my parents first moved to their house the three houses around them got broke into. Their house didn't as we had a Border Collie that roamed the yard and half dozen hounds that heard, smelled and saw anything that got close to the house and erupted in barking.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
If you get a dog for security make sure it's the kind that barks like crazy. Those are the ones keep thieves away. When my parents first moved to their house the three houses around them got broke into. Their house didn't as we had a Border Collie that roamed the yard and half dozen hounds that heard, smelled and saw anything that got close to the house and erupted in barking.

LOL. I was going to recommend a couple weiner dogs. I got two and they sound off at everything. Annoying, yes, but they let us know. Dude came up to try to sell me ADT and couldn't talk over their barking.

deadaim

12 pointer
Dec 12, 2001
Booger Hollar
IMHO don't let yourself get suckered into a monthly security system that calls the police . You can call the police faster yourself They are crooks with the contracts and a waste of money. I installed 16 cameras .......8 really clear ones including four inside. They work on a backup battery with 2 DVR They send warnings and video/Pics to my phone via text if someone steps in front of them. In addition I have glass break alarms on the windows and door alarms that will all call three phones if they are set off and will either stay silent or set off a horn that rivals the tornado warning system. Like wildcat you will not drive near my home I wont have your license number. All that as had for under a grand and I installed it.

I also have these two well trained guards outside.

1149393_576826265707026_1271498311_o.jpg

And god help you if you meet my third and favorite inside the house......he don't play well.

11021145_890941947628788_2396658332393764749_n.jpg

Last edited:

Brsutton86

12 pointer
Sep 19, 2009
Harrodsburg, KY
IMHO don't let yourself get suckered into a monthly security system that calls the police . You can call the police faster yourself They are crooks with the contracts and a waste of money. I installed 16 cameras .......8 really clear ones including four inside. They work on a backup battery with 2 DVR They send warnings and video/Pics to my phone via text if someone steps in front of them. In addition I have glass break alarms on the windows and door alarms that will all call three phones if they are set off and will either stay silent or set off a horn that rivals the tornado warning system. Like wildcat you will not drive near my home I wont have your license number. All that as had for under a grand and I installed it.

I also have these two well trained guards outside.

View attachment 52340

And god help you if you meet my third and favorite inside the house......he don't play well.

View attachment 52341

What brand of camera is the really clear one? That's one thing I've been looking for is clear cameras. I figure some are probably good for the day but junk at night like some trailcams.

deadaim

12 pointer
Dec 12, 2001
Booger Hollar
What brand of camera is the really clear one? That's one thing I've been looking for is clear cameras. I figure some are probably good for the day but junk at night like some trailcams.

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Owl-Sec...26258&sr=8-68&keywords=clear+security+cameras

Mine are like those but are Sony brand. The one at my front and back door also has sound. My Dvrs are hidden but send Picture to my big screen in the bedroom so I can leave it on and sleep at night like scarface lol. If they get past the alarms and dogs it gives me all the time in the world to be ready with the 12 guage. Unless I'm dealing with Ninja attack :) Lets face it in all honesty they can cover there face and usually do anymore due to all the cameras. Its the fact it tells me they are there at the moment that I am looking for. If I am not close and the police are slow I have a 6 foot 4 260 pound Vet that lives just down the street that works from home that can be there on the ready in about 3 M that would love to catch someone stealing.

Last edited: