home building

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KY Helim, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    You wrote the checks cause she let ya hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Since you like farm house styles, check out the farm house plans available from U of Ky county extension office. Those were the ones I used and they were very cheap.

3. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Pole barn style houses can be built cheap, but like anything the finish is the expensive part

4. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    That's my cost to build a duplex, for myself. I never build a custom home. I will be glad to help you any way I can.

Plumber/electrical/hvac, your just at their mercy. A little wiggle room on hvac, but only in efficiency, and the duct work you run. The house being for yourself, you want to go all in with your hvac.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Not really getting the wife to the build site was like pulling hens teeth. She is one of the worlds worse decision makers, that's why I hate to go shopping with her.

6. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Typical woman sounds like

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

She did refer to this house as your house for several years but since has came to like the place with the peace and solitude unlike the place we owned in Indiana between a 4 lane hwy US 20 south and a 6 lane hwy I-80/94 north both in sight she picked out to buy . Lucky I had a friendly farmer that planted several acres of beans or corn to the NE with a couple logged over thickets on it that held deer and small game and I had sole permission to hunt it. Cost me a cold beer from time to time when he was working the land. He would just show up knocking on the door looking for something cool to drink a lot of times. That field now has over 250 homes built on it. We managed to buy a few of those acres (20) from a estate the kids valued money more than land next to the house and when we sold out and moved back south made a good profit in selling it. We let the farmer continue to plant things for free until he passed away a year or so before we moved back home.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  8. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I did insulated concrete walls, worth the price, simple house design.

9. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    1. Figure out how much cash you think you need for absolutely everything, then add another 10 grand to it, minimum. Don't go into a project being anywhere near being strapped for cash. When we got done I only had $5,000 in the bank and was sweating bullets.

2. Read up on basic construction techniques and rules of thumb if possible then double check everything, especially the electrical. Some electrical things aren't part of code, such as exact height over bathroom vanities or closeness to door frames, so the inspector isn't going to flag it. It's up to you to make sure they don't do something stupid. The electrical guys rarely like to actually plan it out, they want to have a plan handed to them, so don't trust them to get everything right.

3. Go with propane for heating, natural gas if possible. Now that the shale industry took off I'm feeling kinda dumb for going with electric. Please don't buy an electric stove.

4. Consider a standalone house and a separate pole barn. Attached garages are around 3 times more per square foot in cost. You can get way more bang for your buck with a separate pole barn.

5. Consider where 2x4's are going. On my place I have a truss right where my range hood exhaust needed to go, and a wall stud right where an in-wall speaker needed to go. While framing in these things should be easy to avoid. Not nearly as easy fixing it afterwards.

Insulate the hell out of everything. 6" walls, batts plus blown in on the ceiling. Insulate interior walls for soundproofing. Do it yourself too, can save some bucks and it is easy plus gives you a sense of accomplishment.

If you're into stereos and whatnot, prewire about twice what you think you ought to.

Keep everything underground, don't build a new house that has a weather head for electric. Think back to 2009 during the ice storm if you're wondering why.

Use solid core doors. They don't cost _that_ much more, they are better for sound proofing, and give nice solid feel.

Make sure all exterior doors are under a roof if possible, like a covered porch. Much less problems from them that way.

Make sure to include a large utility room or at least have a separate broom closet.

Try to go hardwood everywhere. Top grade white oak with clear poly is very cheap, less than $3 a square foot locally, and it is easy to install yourself. Make every room the same flooring. You'll have a beautiful floor that will last for decades, for cheap. Avoid soft wood, aka. anything remotely soft that was grown in America. Maple, cherry, etc. Canadian maple isn't quite so bad. American maple and cherry sucks.

Don't get a traditional water heater. It will eventually rust and blow water everywhere and you'll have a huge mess. Look at the polymer super insulated ones from home depot. Very efficient, no rusting.

Consider an industrial pot rack. It gives the kitchen a nice commercial look and frees up a ton of cabinet space. Things are much more organized and easy to get to with one, and it is WAY cheaper than the equivalent space in cabinets.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016