Holiday weekend cook thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by C.L.Button, May 23, 2014.

1. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Good golly thats a wide variety. I'm doing rotisserie chickens stuffed with jerk spiced grilled pineapple. Cant wait to chow down on them juicy birds. I'm making fried sweet tater medallions and a spinach salad with mandarin oranges and toasted walnuts on top.

On a side note, THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE gone before us. I will be at the sunrise service at Zachery Taylor Nat Cemetary on Monday am.

2. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Nice meatloaf B. Kingsford is full of chemicals. I either make my own or use a natural lump product. They contain no chemicals.

3. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

With yeah on that too... I only use natural lump Big Green Egg brand or Royal Oak.

4. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Gonna try wings on the Egg for the first time this weekend. Probably Saturday night. Planting crops, baling hay, and gonna try to throw in a duck plot as well. Gonna be a fun weekend.

5. kcbrown

kcbrown 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2006
    Skinny, you need to tell us how to make your own, seems I saw something years back about a guy making it in a 55 gallon drum. How do you do it.
    I am thinking ribs on Monday. Mom and Dad are having us over for burgers and dogs on Sunday

6. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Kev it's easy but time consuming. I cut out 3 equal spaces in the bottom of a drum. Fill up with 6 inch chunks of cherry. Start it with a propane torch. As it burns down, i knock the chunks out onto the ground so they can cool and then break them up with a hammer. After breaking them, i rake them out loosely so they go out. It takes several hours to make about 50lbs of charcoal. As u rake them up just need to make sure they are cold. I generally rake hot coals one direction and the cold ones the other. I rake them into a pile and shovel into a metal trash can with a lid. Then to use i just take out about a gallon water bucket half full. Wad up a couple pieces of paper under them and light or i light them with a plumbers torch. Either way works great. Btw when i break them up i get pieces from 1/2in to 3in in diameter. That works great for grilling. It takes practice to do it. I pretty much only use cherry because of the way it burns down. I have also used oak but it is alot more work. Good Luck. Give my best to your bride. I miss talking to her on the other site.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  7. WETWADERS

WETWADERS 6 pointer

Smoked 3 meatloafs a few months ago. Got better every day it was in the fridge. Hated to see it end! I need to do that again.
    Got a 2-pack of Boston butts at Sam's today. Mine will go on the UDS early Sunday morning, and son will put his on Sunday night. I usually foil at about 165-170 and pull at 197. Can't wait!

8. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    I've made some cherry charcoal before by accident and I had enough left over to actually use. I had a big cherry fire going then spread it out before I went into the house and went to bed. When I got up in the mornin, it was all cool and broke up and was just like lump charcoal.

9. J_Shockey

J_Shockey 6 pointer

Sep 6, 2010
    Madison co.
    I got a 2 pack of boston butts as well. I think I'll only do 1 this weekend though, maybe a nice pot of beans under it to catch some of the MPJ as it were.

10. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

12:36 now full pork shoulders are on now for a bit, tater salad and slaw made, getting beans ready to put them in the smoker in a few hours. Birds still Chillin out waiting their turn.

11. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

1:42 a few buddies are coming by to drop some fresh caught fish off to put in the fridge to clean later... Birds out of the brine getting ready for some rub and hickory and cherry/apple wood...

12. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

3:30 ish nice nape.. Pork shoulders doing nicely.... The birds are rubbed down and will go on on am q bit....

13. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

9:30 in the morning.... Almost show time for our catering gigs. Pork shoulders holding nicely and the birds gearing up to be pulled off the smoker to be be pulled for sliders.

14. fcfishking

fcfishking 8 pointer

Apr 11, 2010
    Fairdale, KY
    Elk loins in the marinade now till morning....going on the smoker early. Throw in the usual burgers and brats (soaking in beer now) Buddy just called and caught two huge snappers out of his pond and is bringing them over so it looks like a turtle fry tomorrow as well. Bunch of family and hunting buddies coming over...got pool ready for all the granddaughters, set out 4 targets to shoot bows, and then the Woodford Reserve Single Barrell. Monday is food plot work day.....depending on when I get up.....

15. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Bratwurst over the campfire tonight