Holiday weekend cook thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by C.L.Button, May 23, 2014.

1. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Who b cookin what ?

2. jsc3150

jsc3150 8 pointer

Sep 20, 2004
    Lexington
    I got 3 racks of baby backs and a pork loin going on the smoker this weekend.:eagerness::eagerness:

3. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

I am catering 2 diffrent event Saturday so I will be putting meats on tonight. What I will be doing is pulled pork, ribs, pulled chicken sliders, smoked beans, tater salad and slaw.

And my in laws want a smoked turkey breast and the wife wants a smoked salmon.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Nothing big over the weekend (my refs are working the state soccer tournament all 3 days) but I'm fixing a big batch of Tim Farmer's venison stroganoff this evening to help my refs load up on carbs & protein before they hit the fields.

5. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    just trimmed up a Boston butt and cut some hickory disks. Gonna get it started and take off for the lake leaving the wifey to watch it and bring it down tomorrow

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    My daughter has plans with her boyfriend , so pretty much just me and my better half this weekend .

Plan on just grilling some burgers & brauts on Monday. Wife is going to make some tater salad and whatever other sides she decides on......but overall just keeping it simple and relaxing.

Will say I've been wanting to do a smoked meatloaf. May try that out on Saturday if nothing comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    Wow, I'm honored. Thanks for the invite. What time on Monday? The whole family is coming together at moms Monday evening so hopefully its a little early.

8. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Dude, I LOVE meatloaf. Please make this and let me know how it comes out.

I have given my wife instructions to pull the butt off at 195 degrees and wrap it. We will be having it for dinner on Sunday at Rough River. 195 is correct right?

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'm fishin' and the kids are playing ball so it'll be simple. After the tournament it'll be smokeys and pork chops on the grill, my baked beans have been requested along with jap poppers, then we'll unwind around the fire and do marshmallows while the frogs and crickets holler.

10. Shiz-Nit

Shiz-Nit 10 pointer

195-200 ish.... internal temp is correct for done. But wrapping I wrap at certain color not per say a certain temp but is around 145-155.

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Come on down .... LOL.

I always fix too much anyway. Also have a bottle of apple pie in the cabinet that the seal hasn't been broke on . We may have to test it to make sure it hasn't gone bad. But .. that may make you a little late getting to your next get-together .

Will do ..... had several people tell me their really good smoked. Just never done one but we like meatloaf... so can't turn out all that bad.

We use my dad's recipe where we mix 1/2 lb mild pork sausage in with 2 lbs ground beef , fresh chopped bell and onion and a few other ingredients. End result you don't really taste the the sausage but it really makes for a moist meatloaf and great taste . Honestly one of things that just gets better each day as we make sandwiches with the leftovers .

Putting some smoke and slow cook time in the smoker seems like a good combination. Just got to figure what wood I want to use .

As for pulling the butt.... I do mine around 195.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. KHAdmin

KHAdmin 8 pointer

Aug 17, 2012
    BBQ Chicken and grilled veggies and fruit.... zucchini, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, pineapple rings and ranch corn on the cob. Did you all see that Lowe's and Home Depot both have Kingsford 20lb 2-pack for $9.99?

13. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    185 is when i would wrap if i was wrapping, and let rest fat side up for atleast one hour, 2 if u have the time. After it rests, unwrap in a pan and Wait about 45min before u pull it. When u unwrap it, some juice will run out. U dont want to lose that liquid.

14. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    I wouldn't use Kingsford if it was free.

15. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    I made a smoker meatloaf awile back. It was awesome. Don't think I did anything different than regular oven meatloaf.

CL. Whats wrong with Kingsford charcoal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attached Files: