Hogs

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by blindfly69, Aug 17, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 Fawn

Aug 17, 2006
    ever since i can remember i've always read in our seasons books that come out every year that wild hogs may be killed year round with no bag limit........but i dont think there's any wild hogs in kentucky are there??? if so then that would be a fun off season bowhunt!!!

2. Rem7600

Rem7600 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2005
    Eastern Kentucky
    From what I have read, most of the wild hogs are in the southeastern and southcentral part of the state. I have heard reports of hogs in southern West Virginia but apparently they don't swim very well. I have never heard of any in my area. Would like to try hog hunting myself.

3. HEAVYSETDOOBER

HEAVYSETDOOBER Spike

Apr 6, 2006
    Mayfield,Ky
    Theres a few in Graves County

A close friend of mine said that 2 guys that he knows killed one a piece last year on opening day of gun season and that one was a huge sow and when they cut her open she was full of babys so that means theres a boar runnin around somewhere also.

4. blindfly69

blindfly69 Fawn

Aug 17, 2006
    what part of ky was that in??

5. HEAVYSETDOOBER

HEAVYSETDOOBER Spike

Apr 6, 2006
    Mayfield,Ky
    Western part

I live in Fancy Farm If you've ever heard of it around 20 miles south of Paducah.The hogs were killed in Baltimore Bottoms about 5 miles from the house.

6. Mount-N-Man

Mount-N-Man 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2004
    There isn't any wild hogs in Kentucky, Your buddies shot some farmers hogs that escaped.The reason they are legal yearround is because the F&W doesn't want them to get established here. They are really destructive animals.

7. HEAVYSETDOOBER

HEAVYSETDOOBER Spike

Apr 6, 2006
    Mayfield,Ky
    Are you a HOG expert or what

Im just tellin you what i was told and the guy who told me this said he knows the difference between a wild hog and a farm raised hog

8. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    A friend of mine's bro and dad killed 2 feral hogs in Graves county last year. I went to the place with my bud and saw how bad they were tearing up the bottoms. They can take a toll on the land and need to be eradicated.

9. gung

gung 8 pointer

Jan 29, 2004
    Graves County
    I've heard of alot of them coming out of baltimore bottoms.I actually seen one a guy killed.I heard that someone had been turning them lose there.

10. Mount-N-Man

Mount-N-Man 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2004
    I ain't no hog expert, just don't know of ANYONE who has ever seen one or any sign of any either in Kentucky. I killed one in 1997 in Tennesee.

11. kybowhunter

kybowhunter 6 pointer

Feb 1, 2003
    central ky
    Most running around are furrow we had about 30-40 running the river cliffs in mercer co 2 years ago and they got wiped out quick....

12. yancy

yancy Fawn

Aug 26, 2006
    If you want to find wild hogs go to the stearns area. Take hwy 92 west about ten miles and there is a small store on your left. Go inside and look at the spotted hog on the wall that was killed in that area. I have seen farm raised hogs in the wild too and there is a difference.

13. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    So what is the definition of a "wild hog"?

Two days out of the feed lot? Two generations? Ten? Only pure Russian boars?

The only native "wild hog" to the US are the javelinas they have in the southwest. Everything else is a byproduct of escaped livestock, stock brought over by the Spanish years ago and escapees or illegal releasees of imports.

The percentage of pure breed "wild boars" freely roaming around this country is minute to non-existant.

Go to south central KY / north central TN where "wild boars" are abundant and they run the guide operations and see how many off color "wild hogs" you see.... ;)

It doesn't take a hog that escaped from a farm very long to become as wild as anything else out there.

14. USFS LEO

USFS LEO Fawn

Apr 8, 2005
    To answer the intial qestion, several years ago, mid to late 90s feral hogs/wild hogs whatever you want to call them were somewhat abundant in the southern portion of the Daniel Boone National Forest, the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area and on adjacent private lands. As a side note based on hear say they were also fairly common around the Dale Hollow Lake Area.

Well these critters are very destructive as most already know and the USFS, NPS, and land owners generally didn't want them around. Well at that time the regulation stated that in order to take wild hogs you had to be a legal deer hunter and in these areas at that time during muzzleloading and general seasons only bucks were legal. So if you had killed a buck at anytime during the season you could not hunt wild hogs except during archery season.

In an effort to get a handle on these hogs the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife change the regulation to allow year around hunting on USFS and private land, they also set an extended season for Big South Fork N.R.R.A.. In addition to this there was a severe winter storm in 1998 that caused a lot of mortality in the hogs and then a couple of years of poor mast crops which further reduced the numbers. So to make a long story short hunters with the help of nature have eliminated the hog problem in this area. I haven't seen a hog in the wild in the area in about 5 years and haven't seen any rooting in probably 3 years. I can't speak for other areas of Kentucky but here they are gone however there are still a few just a little south in Tennessee so if the season isn't left open they could reestablish themselves.
    Hope this helps

15. jarhedhntr

jarhedhntr 10 pointer

Apr 20, 2005
    Richmond
    Funny thing about hogs. I was reading about acorns the other day and found a site that tells about the different uses of acorns. The women told a story of how 2 of her pigs got out of the pen and were gone for 3 days before found in the woods under oaks eating acorns. According to her story those to pigs actually faired better in size and health than the others that didn't escape. I'm no expert but, like any other animal they will adapt.