Hogs???

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Deadbuck, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    They did the same thing out in Western Pulaski county a couple years ago. They killed several from what I was told

2. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    My father killed a big black one with really nice tusks about 10 years ago in Greenup Co...the property owner had pictures of a couple on game camera...dressed out a bit over 200 lbs...made a really nice mount...

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

That sounds like the area of Cottonmouth lodge on the Christian/Muhlenberg county lines where those I mention were supposed to have been turned loose at. I have done a lot of survey work in Northern Christian for oil well sightings and timber cutting and have never ran across any hog sign.

4. Highhunter

Highhunter Fawn

Aug 29, 2016
    Yes. Just down river from the old cotton mouth lodge. I was told thats where the hog problem started!

5. 1wildcat1

1wildcat1 Fawn

Aug 4, 2018
    Kentucky
    I have seen them on more than one occasion on the Acree tract of Ky River Wma. There was plenty of sign on top the ridges. Last time was just a few years ago. They destroy deer habitat and compete for food. We definitely don't want them around.

MoMan and ojibwa62 like this.
  6. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I seen my first hog this summer in Pendleton county on my farm. It was a big pot belly that had escaped from somewhere. I only saw him 1 time. I have seen 2 emus over the years, and nobody around me raises them.

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Had a lease on Pond River. We’ve killed a pile of the stinkin things

8. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    One of the signs at the state fair talks about not shooting them and there were paper handouts explaining why. Had to many beers to want to read a paper so I just asked them why the poster was saying not to shoot them.

He explained if you see one destroy it. But if they are in a group they would rather you contact them to try and trap the group. Shooting one out of a group will cause them to break up and make more groups.

Then I asked if there were any issues in the areas I hunt (Louisville, Anderson county, and greensburg) and he said there haven’t been many reports in these areas as of late.

I can promise I seen 2 feeding in a field one day last year near mike linings on the green belt one evening.

9. mike goodlett

mike goodlett 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2009
    Mount Sterling ky.
    I have trail cam pic's of hogs in Owen county never have saw one they were all taken at night.

10. mike goodlett

mike goodlett 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2009
    Mount Sterling ky.
    I put a pick of one on here in 2014 saw them on cam for a couple years but none in the last couple. I looked it up I thank it was Jan. 7 2014.

11. mike goodlett

mike goodlett 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2009
    Mount Sterling ky.
    I'm getting old it was Nov. 7 2014

12. Deadbuck

Deadbuck 6 pointer

Sep 8, 2011
    I heard about the hog problem in N Christian a while back so maybe it was just that isolated incident. Definitely don't want that problem in KY.

13. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I haven't seen one yet but I swear I have heard them at the night down by the river.

14. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Killed some when I lived in Tennessee.haven't seen any where I live and hunt in western ky.hope we don't get any on our lease.hogs become a real problem.kill everyone you see.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  15. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

About a year or so ago, I saw two hogs run across Vine Street near the Hamilton County Fairgrounds on the north side of Cincinnati. This was in the middle of Carthage. Yikes!