Hit my first deer

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Tman6493, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    This morning I wanted to scout a duck pond before going in to work. I almost turned around and just went to work but really wanted to see the pond. Just before I pulled into the pond I hit a doe at about 30 mph. Just some minor bent plastic and the deer managed to run off. Not sure on her status. But I couldn’t have been more lucky. I put myself into the possibility of hitting deer almost daily. Going to and from lake fishing, going hunting, even where I live so I’m surprised I made it this long. Usually it’s just a close call but there was nothing I could do this time. Just a heads up to pay attention out there.

bondhu likes this.
  2. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Glad it wasn't worse!

My husband & I have each hit one (so far). His was, by far, the more spectactular. Hit the deer, it went airborne off to the left, he swerved to the right, and over an embankment we went, through a barbed wire fence at the bottom (looked like a spaceship in Star Wars going to light speed with all the sparks that were flying up), until we came to rest against a fencepost that was stronger than our car. Deer died. We brought it home for dinner. Figured at $60 per pound that was the least we could do! (Got approx 50# of meat off the deer & it did approx $3000 worth of damage to our car. Did I mention that we hadn't even had the car a month at that point?????)

Mine wasn't so much. Smacked a doe at about 45 mph. It went sailing. I knew better than to swerve & we stopped safely until I caught my breathe & got us pulled over safely in a nearby driveway. Couldn't find the deer but I know it died. It took out the whole grill & radiator on my jeep & even dented up the hood. Called the police to get a report for insurance & they came and refused to do one even though there was fur & blood all over the remains of the front grill. I took it to our insurance agent that same way and he just shook his head and wrote it up for us.

I figure living where we do, one or both of us will eventually get another one. We have a couple of friends (husband & wife) who have hit EIGHT over the years & they haven't lived here nearly as long as we have....

Feedman likes this.
  3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    One Hit ME In the right side couple years ago.
    Deer jumped up and ran off.
    Totaled my 1997 Geo Metro....$50 damage. Still going strong after a hammering job.

4. Buckkillr

Buckkillr 6 pointer

Dec 15, 2019
    Ohio
    Few years back me and a buddy was headed to town in his new truck, in that area there was always deer so we was both on the look out. Sure enough we spot 4 about 50 yds of the road walking towards the road so he slowed way down and by the time we got up to them they were maybe 20 yds from the road so he was at a crawl going past and this damn doe took off running right at us and smashed into the passenger door. He had insurance of course but still cost him the deductible, it wasn't funny then but we laugh alot over that now, Stupid Deer LoL

Lady Hunter likes this.
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    My wife had one run into the side of her car back in the early fall. She saw it coming an got stopped. Deer almost got stopped by hit right between the front door and back door. Did not damage her Rogue

6. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I've hit 10! I'm 60. First one was in my dad's station wagon at 16 going to my gf's house, she lived bout 25 miles away. It ran right into the rear passenger door, I never saw her til she hit the car, saw it in the mirror. 2nd one I was driving my 53 Willys Jeep. It jumped off a ridge and came right thru passenger windshield, 10pt. There was a hoof print in the dash metal that when I sold it the guy said "cool a deer print, that's neat"! I didn't elaborate! Mental note the gas tank is under the seat, so when you go to shoot it aim so it goes thru the open driver soft door! I did remember that! Rolled a truck trying to miss one in a bad spot and learned just hit em square! So now I do. The other 7 were just "oh crap" moments and the impact. Knock on wood for me been a while, wife hit one just before we moved to the farm!

7. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    If you know where Goodnight Bridge is out on the back side of the lake, I once blew up a deer there. Coming home from opening day, hauling an ATV on a 14' trailer, doing 70 in my Excursion. Never found anything left of the deer, other than the few gallons of blood and some hair he left on my truck. Hit him broadside at the shoulder, just where you'd put your crosshairs. Total weight of the truck and all was probably around 10000 pounds and we were going 70 - got $6k worth of damage, new front end, replacement pulley for the AC. Couldn't see through the windshield at first, as it looked like a gallon of red paint had been thrown up there. Had to use the wipers.

8. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    Bought my first brand new truck back in '09. Brand new Dodge Ram. Traveling 75 mph on 52 on the Ohio side of the river one night during late October. I had just picked the truck up the day before. Out of no where a nice buck chasing a doe come out of the median and hit me on the driver side door. I'm not sure what prevented that thing from coming on in. The first thing I seen were antlers out the corner of my eye at the driver side window. Looked behind me in the rearview mirror and cars were swerving all over the place. I never stopped until I got to my destination 3 hours later. Small dent in the driver side door and a decent one in the bed was all that was done. I was heart broken to say the least. Travelling back a couple days later on the same road and there were 25-30 dead deer in that median. I guess I wasn't the only victim.

9. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I haven’t hit one yet but I’ve almost creamed 2 driving back to murray after unsuccessful weekends in a deer stand.

10. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    Have gotten 4 3 minor one 10,000 in damage

11. countryboy3006

countryboy3006 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern KY
    I've hit several. One morning my brother and I were going duck hunting and 2 ran out in front of me. one bounced off the front of the truck and ended up getting stuck under the boat trailer. Luckily no damage to the truck or boat. I have come to the conclusion that heavy duty steel bumpers with brush guards are cheap insurance for deer. One hit and the bumper has pretty much paid for itself.

12. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I was with a guy heading to a duck hunt. 1 min out of his driveway he hit one, almost go stopped, knocked it over and it got up and took off fine. 1000 yards before the turn in to the ramp he crushed one, bunch of grill damage but we were able to get it home. 2 in one day. Good thing we crushed limits of ducks and geese that day!

bah1286 likes this.
  13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    is congratulations in order for all that have hit deer?

14. keeruss8

keeruss8 6 pointer

Jun 19, 2016
    Marrowbone
    I’ve hit plenty, where I grew up in Michigan your lucky if ya didn’t hit one a year. They plant corn right to the road and they’ll run right into the side of ya and not a dam thing you could do. They do some serious damage to sometimes.

15. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Only one for me. It was a yearling. Didn’t hurt the truck. I got out threw it in back.

trapper perry and Feedman like this.