Hillary: "We Are Going To Put A Lot Of Coal Miners and Coal Companies Out Of Business

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by EC, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Bingo.

This is exactly what democrats and grouseguy do not understand. You cannot run an economy without a source of fuel. There are no better alternatives that are readily available to immediately replace what we have now. There just aren't.

We need to use what we have to the full extent until something more viable, reliable, and avaliable comes along.

You can't pack up shop on "fossil fuels" when your country depends on them until something else can replace them that is better than what we already have in use.

2. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I'm not sure why I'm mentioned here. I'm not anti-coal, I just mentioned the reality of its soon to be obsolescence ... and furthermore, isn't what you are suggesting exactly what we're witnessing happening right now ... We're converting to other types of energy over time as new technologies become available.

3. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    No, the liberals are pushing out coal without waiting for another viable option. Only option right now is for electric customers to pay WAY more..its as simple as that. They are not waiting for technology to make a viable option to coal.

4. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    You failed to answer my question earlier in this thread, so I will rephrase, and ask again.

You tried to compare coals collapse to the steam and carriage industries, so my question is:

Did government regulation have any impact on Steam and Carriage industries failing or was it the free market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
  6. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    That has more to do with the steel mill idling down than anything else. The steel tariff was to little to late, at least they Bottom tapped it this time, so there is hope that it will be brought back up August of this year so some people can live again.

7. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    I'm not sure your comment is 100% accurate. I have a good friend that was/will be one of these casualties, he told me two weeks ago it was coming and he said it was flat out due to the lack of coal CSX is moving currently.

This is from the link I posted:

"The Russell operations primarily serve coal trains moving out of Central Appalachian coal mines, a market that has been hit heavily with a $1.4 billion decline in coal revenue for CSX over the past five years."

8. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    If there are no better sources out there than why are the power plants switching over to NG? This includes plants in Kentucky that by the way don't buy Kentucky coal...

Furthermore, if you compare the burn rates of coal vs NG, NG is a far more efficient fuel.

I honestly think that in the near future energy will rely on regional recourses. I flew over the southwest a few weeks ago and was amazed at the solar farms. Mid America and coastal areas have wind generation opportunity. Coastal areas in other countries are utilizing tidal turbines. And, in the eastern US there's more NG in the ground than we know what to do with.

Paying a man a high wage to bring a black rock out of the ground so you can burn it at 30% efficiencies is simply old, expensive, and outdated.

It is too bad what's happened in east Kentucky, but just like the hemp farmers having to find a new crop people there will have to figure something out, or go where there's other opportunity.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  9. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Got a buddy that works for rj corman who recently lost his job because they are no longer hauling coal. Your right, Its more than just miners losing their jobs.

10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Could we not have converted to mostly nuclear 40 years ago? In that instance, over regulation made it nearly impossible.

In the last 8 years, EPA overregulation has forced out coal ahead of its natural demise, and attempted to force in financially unsustainable alternative energies.

11. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Another link also providing evidence this layoff was at least partially due to the decrease in coal shipments.

"The Russell facility primarily services coal trains rolling through central Appalachia. The railroad company cited diminishing traffic levels and a decrease in CSX coal movements as reasons for the cuts."

http://www.dailyindependent.com/new...cle_b4872614-eaee-11e5-920b-9fe51f5b6daa.html

12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Sure not a lack of trains carrying coal once you get out of some areas. Go out west and look at the number of coal trains in Utah. When we did the Amtrak trip out to Reno several times we were held up due to trains loaded with coal on the move. Even tho passenger trains were supposed to have the right of way that did not hold true one bit. We set still for over a hour on a sideing just east of Reno while one coal loaded train after another went by on the main line

I also look at the uranium boom in Northern Nevada years ago, once that played out many towns became ghost towns near over night. We travel thru a couple of them on that trip. So far I have not seen anything even close in Kentucky. I got one picture in passing thru one that when I checked them had a old man sitting beside a bike watching the Amtrak go past, I swear I didn't see him in the frame when I took that picture.....Strange real Strange.

13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    And in other news Marco Rubio bows out after losing home state of Florida

14. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    I know many of the casualties, when the mill announced they were going down, CSX announced they were going to be laying off and cited the mill as the last straw, it may not have been all of it, but it made the camels back break.. Not so long ago, you could run 23 to Louisa , and every coal dock was full, now I think there is one left. I know several smaller guys that have millions in coal still in the ground with no feasible way of bringing it out......for those guys, this cuts deep.

15. russell

russell Spike

Jul 25, 2006
    moreland
    Lost my CSX job in Corbin, along with 180 other great men. Reason being loss of revenue due to coal shipments. The week before 400 plus CSX employees in Erwin, Tn. were laid off. Now 100 in Russell KY soon to be. I had the choice to relocate to Hopkinsville but declined to the volatility of the rail industry at the current time. I lucky landed a postion at the Ford truck plant in Louisville. Obama's war on coal is a pile of crap just like he is.