High water gills and crackers

Mepperson

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2005
Murray, KY
We got to get on the lake thanks to a great buddy that has a private ramp. Most public ramps are not accessible right now and the traffic on the lake is minimal. The weather was simply awesome today. We were able to squeeze 2 1/2 hours of fishing in and catch these. Most were caught in the last 1 1/2 hours. There are about 35 gills and 10 crackers in the cooler. It was a good afternoon.

IMG_0270.jpg

ril7572

Cyber-Hunter
Jul 9, 2003
Ky..
Very nice. I'm headed down this week for a couple of days.

How deep were you catching these?

rock802

10 pointer
Dec 13, 2005
primrose ky.
Are the ones with the little orange spot on them the shell crackers? Do you all fillet the gills and crackers or split them and fry? Good looking catch!!!!

buschog

6 pointer
Jul 4, 2008
Had a great time, got lucky finding the fish where we did. But a little luck never hurt's!

Mepperson

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2005
Murray, KY
Are the ones with the little orange spot on them the shell crackers? Do you all fillet the gills and crackers or split them and fry? Good looking catch!!!!

Yes, most people call them redears. We generally fillet them, I've gotten quite good at getting nearly all the meat a person can get by filleting. Now is a good time to fish if you can find a place to put in.

Mepperson

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2005
Murray, KY
Very nice. I'm headed down this week for a couple of days.

How deep were you catching these?

They were caught in about 2-5 fow, but it's hard to find many spots that shallow without bumping the trolling motor on someone's picnic table or yard statues. :)

ril7572

Cyber-Hunter
Jul 9, 2003
Ky..
2 of us fished kentucky yesterday afternoon and this morning. We cleaned 90, mostly nice bluegill. Also caught several cats, and a few shellcrackers. The shellcrackers were hard to find. Most all of the fish were caught in 10-12 feet of water.

philipfleek

12 pointer
Feb 24, 2008
philville, KY
Are shell crackers and warmouth the same thing? when I was a kid and fishing at Elmer Davis
with My Pa and cousin they called a fish a warmouth. I have no idea if they are the same.

Latest posts