Higginson Henry WMA, Tips needed!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by MSbowhunter, Oct 3, 2006.

1. MSbowhunter

MSbowhunter Fawn

Oct 3, 2006
    Several buddies of mine and I are coming from Mississippi Thursday to hunt the H&H WMA. Just wondering if anyone could give us some tips in order to be successful in a 3 or 4 day hunt. We need tips regarding when the deer are moving and can you hunt the ag fields that border the chunk of woods. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Your smart for hunting now when the pressure isn't so bad. You can hunt any fields as long as they are H&H except for half of tract 6 which is a wild life area closed to hunting. They move just like any where...morning and evening. As the hunting pressure get higher you'll see the movement go more nocturnal. If I were you I would find a good white oak off the beaten path and set up there. Everyone will hit the fields so you may be waisting your time. Also don't just pull off at the most convenient spot and hunt. That's what everyone will do. Good luck.

3. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    What he said. I have never hunted H&H for deer, but have hunted it for turkeys.

4. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    You will definately want to get off the fields and roads. Hunt pressure is higher later in October but there is still pressure. Hunting during the week isn't to terrible but on the weekends be prepared to see a few hunters walking by.

The full moon will shine bright over the next few days, so you might try hunting some abnormal times like mid day.

5. bgpepsiman

bgpepsiman 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2005
    alvaton,kentucky
    i would suggest hunting tina wagner,it is mostly crop fields and with deep woods behind them that go on for miles,hunt pretty deep in the mornings and about half as far back in the afternoons,you can come into the woods from the backside in the mornings and you will not spook what is out in the fields eating,come in from the field side for the afternoon hunt,we hunted down there 2 weeks ago and saw alot of deer,saw a few nice bucks but they did not get into bow range,bring your crossbow and you will have a better chance of dropping one of the huge bucks that are there,i missed the biggest 8 point i have ever seen last year with my bow in that general area and i would say he is still moving around those woods,hope this will help you

6. jbhunter

jbhunter 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2006
    Givin your spot up BG? That's brave...lol. Good advice though. :)

7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
  8. varmentmaster

varmentmaster Spike

Aug 23, 2006
    tina waggoner road

it is a road that runs along the backside of tract 1,good luck, prepare to have people walk by you and piss you off, i live right beside h&h the pressure is already out of control

9. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Never knew the name of that road but been on it a bunch.

The pressure there has just about ruined the hunting. Every time a magazine article comes out with the name H&H in it the pressure jumps. I rarely hunt there any more. It's funny that a lot of the people that live near by have just about given up on it but the the people that hunt it come from hundreds of miles away. The grass is always greener i guess...