Hide Tanning in Eastern KY

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by DBNF HNTR, Dec 31, 2019.

1. DBNF HNTR

DBNF HNTR Fawn

Nov 10, 2018
    Rowan Co, KY
    Anyone know of somebody to tan predator hides in NE Kentucky? I’m in Morehead

2. ManofManyStangs

ManofManyStangs 6 pointer

May 4, 2009
    You willing to drive to Martin County? About 1hour 45 minutes

3. DBNF HNTR

DBNF HNTR Fawn

Nov 10, 2018
    Rowan Co, KY
    I wouldn’t mind. I haven’t shot one yet but just trying to get a plan in place.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Reach out to any taxidermist.

5. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    There used to be a guy in floyd county that specializes in "doggy fur coats"... judging by that other thread I don't think he's actively pursuing this at the current time :confused::eek::oops:

6. DBNF HNTR

DBNF HNTR Fawn

Nov 10, 2018
    Rowan Co, KY
    Thanks all, my taxidermist in Morgan Co said he could do it.

ManofManyStangs likes this.
  7. ManofManyStangs

ManofManyStangs 6 pointer

May 4, 2009
    George Howard in Pilgrim KY 606-395-6982

8. I live in Morehead. If you leave Morehead on Route 60 and travel West when you cross Tripplett Creek before you get to Farmers, there is a trailer on the right side of the road with signs and roadside wares for sale on the weekends. They sell Coyote, Fox and Coon tanned fur pelts. I passed there Sunday afternoon on my way to hitting the woods for a while and and he had a bunch of furs on display. I am pretty sure that the old guy who runs that buys raw hides and tans them. He may or may not be willing to tan some for you. I don't know his name.

9. DBNF HNTR

DBNF HNTR Fawn

Nov 10, 2018
    Rowan Co, KY
    Thanks for the info.

10. DBNF HNTR

DBNF HNTR Fawn

Nov 10, 2018
    Rowan Co, KY
    Thanks. That guy’s name is Doug that runs that little place down 60. The furs were done by his brother Frank Faulk. I believe he used to buy and deal in fur quite a bit but I stopped by and talked to Doug last spring asking if his brother still tanned hides. He said he didn’t that he’d been sick. Saw your picture with the rifle groups, those are awesome. Been reloading 3 years so far and I’m working on a 223 coyote load right now. Haven’t gotten anything like that so far but that’s what my goal is. Shot a few different varmint loads today, a couple were promising so I’m heading back over to clear creek again first thing in the am.

11. Thank you. Those are 5 shot 50y groups with a 22. Shot off a bench in no-wind conditions. I have two rifles that do that often. I can give you a good 223 load for varmints including yotes. I have never missed or lost a coyote with this load. In my Rem 700 in would group in the mid 1's for a 3sh 100y group and in the 2's at 200y. I have killed prairie dogs at over 500y with it but took some hittin n missin to get there at that long distance. It leaves my rifle at 3600 fps using a 40g Nosler BT or Hornady V-max. I think the V-max is slightly more accurate but the difference is nil. I used Federal Match small rifle primers and a near max load of H335. If you want the charge weight, PM me cause I will have to get my load notes out and look it up. I did these with moly coated bullets and with bare ones. The bare bullets without the moly were more accurate. This load zeroed at 250y was point blank on young PD's out to 350y. I would just aim at the top of their heads and hit em mid-ships. I have taken coyotes out to 270y with this load and that was simple aim at center mass and drop em. Out past 350 you will have to compensate for drop but I rarely have a clean shot in KY out past a few hundred yds. Pic of a string of 50y 5shot grps. One with Mod 52 Win and 2nd with Mod 54 Annie. Both with Lapua ammo.

Irish

Attached Files: