HFH program

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Nov 6, 2019.

1. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

2. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    This is a great cause and great organization. I donated a deer for the first time last year, and I plan on doing so going forward. We as hunters can have a positive impact on people’s lives.

RLWEBB and Gooser like this.
  3. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I’ve donated 4 or 5 and plan to do so Saturday if the Lord blesses me to kill a deer. Thanks for posting Keith.

4. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    So do we pay processing fees, split the fees or how does that work?

5. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    It has always been at no cost to the hunter unless something changed this year. I have donated at least 10 deer to Hunters for the Hungry over the years, probably more. If you enjoy to hunt beyond harvesting what your family and friends can eat, it's a perfect match

6. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    I used to donate to chandlers. 40$ I quit and went to another processor.

7. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    You just drop off a field dressed deer to an approved processor. You can get on their website to find out which ones are approved. No cost to the hunter. The deer must be field dressed and must still have the hide on it. You can’t take them skinned quarters or anything like that. You also can’t cut out the back straps and give them the rest, or I would probably do that. It is a really easy process. It took me about 5 minutes tops at the processor for them to fill out the necessary paperwork.

For those of us that live in Zone 1 counties, it is a win-win proposition. We can harvest extra does that need harvesting anyway, and we can help those in need in the process. You can also make a monetary donation to the charity on their website.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  8. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    For all the Robertson County Hunters. We have a Hunters for the Hungry program this year. Take your deer to the Ag Building at Robertson Co School the 2nd Sat of Deer Season and Sunday till 2PM. That is Nov 16-17. Kerns meat processor from Brooksville is donating a refrigerated truck to set in the parking lot to keep the meat fresh. Volunteers will be there to process the meat. Make sure to thank them for there time.

9. keith meador

There shouldn't be any fees associated with donating a deer. If the processor is charging you, or attempting to charge you, notify HFH.

10. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Isn't this fairly new ? Seems like years ago there was a fee.....or maybe a fee after the processor had already done so many ?

11. keith meador

I don't recall any fees associated with donations. There could have been years ago.

12. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    I've been donating to hunters for the hungry since at least 2004 and there wasn't any fees then

13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    years ago i paid a fee, i think it was half the normal price just to cover the processors cost. late 80's, early 90's.

14. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Guess I'm aging myself !!

15. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Just saw this on their Facebook page. Looks like if a processor has exceeded their quota, they may either charge a fee or refuse to accept additional deer.
    ---------------------------------------
    As modern gun season approaches, please keep us in mind and share your harvest. For a list of our participating processors, please visit https://kyhuntersforthehungry.info/. And please call your processor before dropping off your deer to ensure they have not met their quota. Good luck to everyone and be safe.

keith meador likes this.