Hey Beekeepers! Have you all seen this?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by EC, Jan 10, 2018.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I've always been fascinated with beekeeping, but never wanted to put in the labor-intensive effort (not to mention all the equipment, centrifuges, etc., into it). But this makes me wonder about putting a couple of them in my backyard.

Just wondering if any of your real beekeepers know about this and what your thoughts are...

2. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Send a link about this to BSutton. He is a beekeeper of beekeepers.

Capttrae likes this.
  3. Whatever you do, do NOT email them unless you're serious cause they will wear you out for the next year or 3.

4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    BRSutton is the guy's handle on here. Look him up.

5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    It's BRSutton86...I just shot him off a "PM" or whatever it's called on here.

Marsh CallUser likes this.
  6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    He has seen it. We have all seen it. Every beekeeper in the state has seen it, lol. In all seriousness, they make them look a LOT better than they really are. And they are ungodly expensive. Cool idea though, and if it gets folks interested in beekeeping, then more power to them

EC and Marsh CallUser like this.
  7. Poorboy

Poorboy 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2005
    under the bank
    Its a gimmick. They are a very interesting bug and I have gotten hooked pretty bad on them. Yes the system kinda works but there is more to it than shaking bugs in a box and going to get the honey. They have done a remarkable job getting this out there.

If your serious about trying bees you have a remarkable resource there. Check out Kentuckiana Beekeepers Association and attend one of there meetings or contact someone who can head you in the right direction. I've never met a bad person who has kept bees. Although I can't say anyone who sticks their head in a box of 60k stinging insects is exactly sane.

This is the time of the year to put equipment and order bees so don't wait too long.

8. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Sorry, haven't been on here in a bit.

Those are most definetly a waste of money. It's just a sales gimmick.

Bees are fun to play with definetly worth getting a hive or 2. Stick with the Langstroth 10 frame boxes. If you have any questions or anything feel free to hit me up. I'm heading down to Florida next weekend to make a few hundred splits and ship a load to California for almond pollination. We are taking orders for spring 5 frame nucs now.

Nock, bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Thanks so much for your input. I wondered if this wasn't a gimmick. Seemed like a decent and low cost--from the perspective of all the gear and equipment you need--just to get into it for a personal use idea and not revenue directed. I've always been fascinated with bees, their social habits and the goodies they produce!

drakeshooter likes this.
  10. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    It's a very entertaining hobby for a person that loves nature, plus makes a garden/fruit trees come alive. Make no mistake it's an expensive hobby though, nothing cheap about it for a backyard beekeeper.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    My family kept about 50-60 stands for a long time. One of my first jobs was helping with the Bee's. I'm getting back into it this year after some time out. We had a woodworking shop and made pretty much all our stands and racks. Even at that it was still not cheap. We were pretty minimalistic though. No suits, no gloves just a veil and my uncle didn't even wear that. Just a smoker stuffed with denim. I miss it bad

12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    We're are you guys order your package of bees from now? The suppliers we use to use are gone now

13. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    You can order 5 frame nucs from me:D
    $140 each, deposit of half to reserve. Several on here have bought from me. We are not great at keeping it updated, but we have a Sutton honey farms Facebook page you can check out.

Already have drones hatching, we will be grafting queens and splitting next week.

KYBOY and drakeshooter like this.
  14. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    For all you that have Facebook that are interested in bees, add yourself to the group "kentucky beekeepers". Very informational resource.

KYBOY likes this.
  15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Ill check it out man, if you don't mind me asking what strain are you raising? Not that it matters just curious .