Here kitty kitty

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by kyhunter99, Aug 18, 2019.

1. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Maybe a gar? They are notorious for those kinds of runs.

aceoky likes this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Are you setting the hook before you start reeling?

3. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Also are you using standard J hooks, circle hooks, octopus hooks?

kyhunter99 and aceoky like this.
  4. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    I had a 5/0 circle, i dont think it was a gar. The rod bent down smooth and the line tightened and ran... i pulled the rod tip up and started cranking but i didnt wait very long into the run.
    Guess i just got too dang excited. I should have set my spool and waited.
    The feel of it made that 3lb cat i lost feel like a panfish.
    Having someone who knows this stuff and is fishing with you is invaluable. It takes so much longer to learn when you dont. Another very painful lesson for me.

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Circle hooks are good for good size fish. They have enough power to hook themselves. Smaller fish not so

6. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Well, whatever hit this bait wasnt a small fish. I went and got some 8/0 team catfish circles today but researching i like the gamakatsu ones just looking at them. They may help the bait slide smoother oit of the way. The skipjack head the fish hit on yesterday was the size of my fist. I hooked it through the bottom jaw and through the nose hole and it was sliding but my hook looked a little too small.
    Embarrassed to say i dont think i even waited for the fish to go full tension. I felt and saw him run and counted to 2. Then i tried reeling fast.
    Yes.
    Thats the embarrassing truth. And ill never do it again.

7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Team Catfish are actually really good hooks. Daiichi makes them. I’ve caught a ton of fish on them . They are kind of a duel action hook. You can let them run and reel down to set the hook or set it with a sweeping motion..
    Gamas are great hooks too.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  8. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    How long of a leader would you suggest for a medium to low current kyboy?
    Also i have been thinking about floating cut bait....

9. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Cats are fair at the falls, bad note another drowning there last night, no lifejacket. Seems like anytime we launch at lower pool you just shake your head in disbelief at people who don't know the danger in that area.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  10. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky

Dang :(
    i dont trust dams locks or spillways one bit. Actually i dont trust rivers either.

11. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Hooked a 3ft gar tonight! Son of a gun shredded my line right before i went to net him. 10 minutes before that i was rigged up and pulling in something i thought was a cat, but was probably a gar too. It hit a snag 10 ft from the dock and stayed there.
    Lost alot of good tackle tonight, on another catless venture. But i can say for sure whatever hit my line in carrolton was a beast compared to what i was fighting tonight. That carrolton fish hit my bait like a truck.

But got to practice waiting on a fish and got to hear my bait clicker sing a little too. So not a bad night. Wished i could have landed something though.

bgkyarcher likes this.
  12. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    It will happen.

13. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    Lost a little cat before banking tonight.
    Little punk fish stripped the rest of my worms after that.
    I was almost relieved cause its been over 2 months of trying and everything that could go wrong catching cats has gone wrong.
    Damn throw me a dang bone already.
    This is starting to make me sick its making me hate fishing for these guys a little bit.

14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

One of these days you will hit on something that works like crazy and will be cussing those darn catfish you will be so tired of letting them loose. I hope for your sake that day comes sooner than later and you don't have to live tru the winter still trying. Any coal fired power plants nearby to you ? Great place to catch catfish is in the discharge holes where they let the steam now turned back into warm water that flows back in a river or lake. We used to fish the one from Paradise TVA plant that discharge into Green River all seasons and do well. Not sure if they let you walk in anymore but it can be reached by small boat from a launch just downstream of the plant