Henderson

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by B.M. Barrelcooker, Feb 4, 2018.

1. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    I’m not so sure it’s a good idea to hunt the refuge.

I never hunt up there anyway so I don’t know much about it.

What’s everyone think ?

2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    They are hunting the refuge now?

3. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    I think ol 3 tree Jim should come back and tell us how he took over hendo.

KDT

4. B.M. Barrelcooker

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    I don’t hunt there anymore and don’t really care.

I do find it interesting though.

And Charlie Plush frustrates me for years as a biologist on wrp but he did seem to know his stuff.

5. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Here's what I think...the Hendo private pits are spoiled beyond their wildest dreams. Landowners making loads of money from hunters because of that refuge. Now, I don't have a problem with them making money, I don't. What I do have a problem with is every time something comes up on the state ground, the private guys are irate. It blows my mind that they put food on a refuge without hunting it. Not just at Sloughs, but every refuge across the nation. That's why our seasons suck anymore, the birds just don't have to move.

Bowfinger, bmason, gung and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Where is old Three Tree Jim or is he going by Cape Hillian these days? He supposedly leading the charge against Charlie for the sake of us little people.

KDT

B.M. Barrelcooker likes this.
  7. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Spike

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    It's not just me but hundreds of others too who think it's a huge step in the wrong direction.
    And it's not just private landowners.
    There are just as many public hunters who hunt the area who are against it too.
    Not only are they planning on opening up more hunting "areas" they're planning on reducing the food they leave by 40%.The new blinds they added last year failed to get their kill numbers up so their immediate response is to add more hunting areas??? Charlie has some very good ideas on other things that I honestly think will help but reducing food and pressuring birds on the refuge definitely isn't one of them.
    There is 2000 acres on the refuge. Sloughs WMA has 11,000 acres!!! They have totally abandoned the lower bottoms and the 9,000 other acres they have to improve and enhance for waterfowl that would do huge things for public hunters and everyone in western ky. When you pressure birds birds leave.

8. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    So, you want the birds to be less pressured. Why don't you make a refuge yourself? Take a section of your farm and create a refuge.

The idea of leaving food on a non-hunted refuge is just crazy to me. And the idea of the public wanting them to leave food is just as crazy. Give ducks a place to rest. Make them move to get food. Now, they will probably turn nocturnal, but on conditions, you can still kill them. That's the way all refuge's should be from Canada to Louisiana. You make them move and there will be more birds migrating instead of waiting on weather.

Bowfinger and B.M. Barrelcooker like this.
  9. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Opportunity is needed, the last time I hunted down there it was an absolute joke. F&w should buy up some more private ground, make that a "resting" spot.

10. T-wil69

T-wil69 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I have no say so in this because I have never hunted anything west of Grayson co but You have to keep in mind this isn’t Arkansas or Missouri, we don’t get the big pushes of birds that they get and we don’t have anywhere close to the amount of local birds they do, all we get is the little sprinkle on the outskirts of the flyway, Our refuges are a big reason why birds do stop here, it just doesn’t make since to me to make it smaller or give them a reason not to stick around, taking away the only thing that makes them feel safe just doesn’t seem like a step in the right direction

Cape Hillian likes this.
  11. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    6656FC6A-C3CF-41C3-8641-2D0AA5B38DC7.png
    Don’t see anything about food in the definition of refuge

KDT

FOWLER2671 and Blackdog85 like this.
  12. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Also Cape, how did you get all those 100’s of people in the small venue you hosted your private meeting that you invited the media too?

Also isn’t that counterproductive? Private meeting with media outlet in attendance?

I mean I get it. If I was worried about loosing my job I wouldn’t care one bit to screw over every sportsman in the state of KY to save my own skin.

KDT

B.M. Barrelcooker likes this.
  13. B.M. Barrelcooker

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Someone showed me an article that had the kdfwr waterfowl chief interviewed and he pretty well said it was a done deal.
    It’s good to see them doing something.

Are you sure Plush was from Missouri ?
    I know he worked in hopkins county for quite a while because he helped on my wrp some and that was 06-07

14. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Spike

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    Hopefully it all works out for all involved.
    not sure why you think I'd lose my job?? lol whater that means???
    You should probably not speak on things you don't know anything about.
    but logical people are making logical decisions and voices are being heard on both sides which is a good thing.
    Charlie I believe was in Missouri last BM. He has some really good ideas. but hunting a refuge wasn't one of them. And like I said voices are being heard.

15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Hunted Hendo in years past. But if I drive WEST any more I wont stop in Kentucky. Illinois Arky MO will be the STOPS