Henderson Sloughs

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Birdx33, Dec 17, 2014.

1. KAHUNTER

KAHUNTER 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2007
    Henderson
    I agree with the above statement. Smaller budget and the staff at sloughs is a fraction of the size of ballards.I know personally these guys care about their job and take pride in it. They brush the blinds in and the first group that comes through tears the brush off so they can see better.

2. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    If you are concerned about the brush job on the sloughs blinds you can check them out the day before your hunt and see what is needed. I carry a piece of that leafy mesh stuff with me just in case I end up in a blind that is sparse.

Those guys at sloughs are duck hunters too. Most every WMA guy I've met at Sloughs or any other WMA nhunts ducks. They care but they don't have a ton of capital to make improvements, just enough to maintain and run the pumps.

3. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

Sloughs doesn't exactly get a shit pot of money to maintain those blinds. The guys up there do what they can with limited resources. A few years ago, several of us rebuilt two of the blinds on grassy pond. The WMA provided what material they could afford, the rest we salvaged off the old blind or bought ourselves.

You're welcome.

4. Birdx33

Birdx33 Spike

Dec 16, 2014
    Then the state needs to kick in more funds for these guys.
    Like I said I'm willing to pay $15 a day to hunt there if the money goes to help improve things.
    I've hunted there 3 days this year and 2 days last year and yet to see anyone that works there, So I don't know whats going on.

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Did the holes you hunted have water in them? If so those pumps didn't turn themselves on.

To go along with that $15 you have to pay someone to be there at 4 am to collect it. Also, another thing you are maybe overlooking is that Ballard is closed completely two days out the week and every hunting day at 2:00. Closed like do not go through this gate closed. That is another thing that has to be managed.

Personally I would rather they keep spending money on things like crops, new blinds, and pumping water than hiring cashiers and people to close the gates everyday.

I think the very last statement you thew in was accurate.

6. Birdx33

Birdx33 Spike

Dec 16, 2014

7. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

8. Birdx33

Birdx33 Spike

Dec 16, 2014

9. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky

10. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

11. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    "200 yards apart, without regard for drawn blinds"

At 42' on the gauge you are talking about it is underwater. I am talking about the gauge on the big beaver dam. Acres of fun then.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015