Hen with beard ????

whitleycotrapper

12 pointer
May 20, 2005
Williamsburg, KY
I have killed two here in Ky and seen plenty. To me even though its a hen, if it has a beard in the spring season, its a LEGAL bird. I passed one on the farm I hunt last year but only because there was a big longbeard heading in my direction. Had he not been there she would have filled my first tag. Both of mine had suprisingly long beards. The first I killed on a foggy morning in the spring season. The shot was at 55 yards as she walked from right to left down the pasture road. I could see the beard swinging as she walked. Had no idea it was a hen until after I had shot and went to get her. Beard was 9 inches and about as big around as a #2 pencil, second one I killed with my bow from a blind at about 5 yards. Knew she was there using that field edge with a big group of hens passed several others just to shoot her. She had a 7 inch beard with the same pencil like thickness.

hunt-4-life21

12 pointer
Sep 26, 2007
Butler Co.
I know I have one on camera in the past couple weeks, if not two different ones. Like others have said, it could be genetics because I've seen more than one during season. I've had a bearded hen close enough to shoot, but I was waiting on the gobbler.

Anyone remember a couple years ago when this guy shot a bearded hen with like an inch beard?? He claimed he didn't know it until he got it home and found eggs when cleaning it. But he said he shot it real quickly in tall grass after he seen the beard. Funny thread.

rcb216

12 pointer
Sep 25, 2005
Robertson Co.
There is a few every year around here, heard a weird gobble a few years ago, got to watching and saw a hen strutting and would gobble, looked it up on you tube and saw a couple videos of the same thing. So you never know.

willy09

Banned
Oct 15, 2009
There is a few every year around here, heard a weird gobble a few years ago, got to watching and saw a hen strutting and would gobble, looked it up on you tube and saw a couple videos of the same thing. So you never know.

Dyke hen? I called one in few years ago that kept trying to pick up her fan and strut, never did gobble though

rcb216

12 pointer
Sep 25, 2005
Robertson Co.
Willy you tube had a video of a hen gobbling. Check it out, crazy stuff. Even more weird when your out there and see it for yourself.