hitch

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2008
Not rare at all, and I don't kill hens ever. There no reason to kill them IMO

Covert HQ

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2012
Logan County
I have heard a bearded hen will make a multiple bearded gobbler but have no proof.

The hen population does need to be controlled as we have a couple flocks of 30+ around

I have shot 1 I can say I did it Im good now

Nock

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2012
Butler co
I have saw several but have never shot one. If I had a chance any time other than spring season I would for sure. That goes for all hens!!

toxic

10 pointer
Nov 10, 2012
J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
I have hunted places and never seen one. The place I have been hunting for the last 10 years, has had several taken off of it. We see them often actually. I think it just depends on the area. Kind of like some characteristics of deer racks.

hollandhunter

12 pointer
Feb 11, 2008
Holland Kentucky
I have seen several over the years. Some places i hunt seem to produce more bearded hens then normal so i would say genetics plays a roll also as some one of you stated already. I seen one last year while driving out of a farm with a rope of a beard it was thin but prolly 7 inches or so. Yes i would have shot her if i had not of been in the truck and if it were season to kill a hen. But i was in a truck and it was during the spring season. I wont shoot a bearded hen in the spring because there is a chance she is or will be bread. An i havent seen her since. I take hens sometimes in the fall when given the chance and eat them. They taste good as the gobblers jmo. However if i didnt see flocks of 30 plus hens all the time on my end of the county i wouldnt shoot them but we are covered up with hens in my neck of the woods like crazy. An like most everything they have to be managed to in order to keep a healthy heard. Now if you hunt a place that dont have alot of birds no i wouldnt shoot them. But to me saying i wouldnt shoot a hen no matter what is like saying i wont shoot no does not matter what. Just dont make since to me. I am a firm beleiver that a healthy herd is a managed herd. A good balance is the way to go. Again jmo.

Sent from my SCH-I545L using Tapatalk

buckstopper2

Spike
Aug 17, 2005
Russell Springs Ky
I have seen a few with beards, the beards usually seem to be small pencil size instead of the big ropes of male, and yes i would probably shoot one if i got the chance, just so i could say that i had killed a hen with a beard.

skin_dog1

BBBC Members
Jan 2, 2004
Bowling Green, KY, USA.
I saw a group of 12 once and 3 had beards. I usually see one about every spring but never had one in range. Not sure if I'd shoot or not. I think it would be cool to have one mounted but I'd have to decide while she was standing there.

Aug 25, 2013
I took one last spring felt bad but it was near end of season and wanted meat. She was right on top of me when I noticed she had a beard and didn't have gun ready like 2 yards away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokr8d

Fawn
Mar 20, 2012
Lexington
I called up a bearded hen 3 years ago. No toms around that afternoon so I toyed around with my calls and had some fun bringing her back several times. Small beard was off center and coming out a bit sideways, looked funny. My FIL killed a nice Tom with 3 beards in the same valley, maybe he was her offspring. :)

willy09

Banned
Oct 15, 2009
Why yeah I'd kill a bearded hen in the fall, them bearded hens taste just as good as the ones that don't have em

Latest posts