Help

Campfire

6 pointer
Oct 24, 2019
Camp
I have Thompson Encore was left loaded from last year. . I took it apart to clean. Took the powder out Bullet and sabot still in barrel. Best way to get out and safest without shooting it. Long story why left loaded But Involved missing a big buck late season and me basically deciding I would never use a muzzleloader again now changed my mind. Lol. Advice appreciated

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I have Thompson Encore was left loaded from last year. . I took it apart to clean. Took the powder out Bullet and sabot still in barrel. Best way to get out and safest without shooting it. Long story why left loaded But Involved missing a big buck late season and me basically deciding I would never use a muzzleloader again now changed my mind. Lol. Advice appreciated
Ram rod it out thru the breech. I'd have just shot it tho

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
I have unloaded one many times without shooting it. Dont push it out the breach. Take the ram rod and push it out of the muzzle. If its to tight take a patch coat it with bore butter run it down the barrel a few times then push it out the muzzle.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I have unloaded one many times without shooting it. Dont push it out the breach. Take the ram rod and push it out of the muzzle. If its to tight take a patch coat it with bore butter run it down the barrel a few times then push it out the muzzle.
That'd be best, but a long way to try and budge a year old settled sabot, especially in a shot/ uncleaned barrel.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Is it the one with the 7/16 breech plug?

If you can’t remove plug you could try to pull the sabot with a remover tool but I imagine it may open up and block it like a drywall anchor. Can you break up the powder and dump it out back then snap cap it out?

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Whats wrong with popping it back through the breech? (Not arguing, just asking cause im guilty) Thread damage risk?

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Much easier than pounding it past the treads of the breach plug in my experience. But I also reuse the bullet, Just drop it into a new sabot and reload it. Maybe its all these years of working on stuff way more fragile than an inline and a solid copper hollow point. I just always look at it like this, its designed to exit the barrel that way not the other way around. Often when I try to force things to do something they aren't designed to do it causes me more work or more money.

Last edited:

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Much easier than pounding it past the treads of the breach plug in my experience. But I also reuse the bullet, Just drop it into a new sabot and reload it. Maybe its all these years of working on stuff way more fragile than an inline and a solid copper hollow point. I just always look at it like this, its designed to exit the barrel that way not the other way around. Often when I try to force things to do something they aren't designed to do it causes me more work or more money.

I don’t shoot sabots, I didn’t buy a .50 cal to shoot a .45.

I do reuse my bullets. Always wondered if turning my Pennsylvania Conical into a hollow point with a ball puller changed the bullet expansion on the deer.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
I’ve always just take breech plug out 2 pellets of powder fall out. Throw them away. Take ram rod shove bullet out breech plug and reuse bullet. Never had an issue for 15 years.
Exactly what I do. Never an issue and much easier than pushing the length of the barrel. Of course this assumes that you have installed the extractor that you can rotate out of the way.

captfire

6 pointer
Oct 13, 2015
ive NEVER left my loaded all ways just shot it out at end of season . how hard can it be to cock the hammer and just shoot it out.??????

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
ive NEVER left my loaded all ways just shot it out at end of season . how hard can it be to cock the hammer and just shoot it out.??????
I think it’s the cleaning that folks don’t like. Boiling water, dish soap and a mop work for me. Rubbing alcohol and heat the chamber on stove. Oil for long storage.

Goex went out of business this year. Can’t find FFFg real BP anywhere. I’m going to save my unburned powder for range days.