Help with this cat?

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
To KY Bourbon Man - you had me until you posted the bear in the trap. Nothing is green in Bourbon Co yet. The pic is a Panther though. We encounter them off and on. State F&G likes to claim they do not exist. I have documented encounters from Floyd, Fleming, Greenup, Breathitt and Rowan counties. Two were personal sightings, two were documented by KSP and one had a dead cat to prove it. They are rare, and hard to find, harder to kill. A live chicken in your trap would be a better choice for bait if you are serious but your chances are slim to none. They travel far and wide and are not likely to be in the same place twice.
So you would have no problem posting the KSP report on this forum then? Or a picture of the dead cat?

Bubbling this back to the top. We’ve had some definite cat activity around the holler. Not much in the way of bears. How about y’all?
Keep your dogs & smaller livestock safe. A few years ago my sister had multiple encounters with a Mtn Lion believed to be a female with cubs den'ed up on her farm. It came down to her back yard twice and engaged with her gaggle of Chocolate Lab's. She had about 10 adult dogs at the time and in the first encounter, the cat killed her 120lb male lab. Opened him up like it had a razor. about a week later, it returned and injured two of her other adult Labs. A 110lb male and an 80lb female. Both survived but with serious cuts and gashes. A single 90lb dog is no match for one if these. About one month later she saw it one last time while hiking her farm with hubby. This was all in Floyd Co over near Betsy Layne. Her farm had a large 65hd herd of Elk on it at the time. I lose track of time but this was about 2014 or 2015 I think. It was since I moved back to KY in 2013 cause I was wanting to hunt it but it disappeared before we ever got a hunt organized.

As for the KSP cat in Fleming Co, it was at about the same time but was a male Mtn Lion shot by a KSP trooper in his back yard. His dogs had it treed in an apple tree as he was about to go on duty. Killed it with his service pistol. Body was transported to the Morehead Post but no official report was filed. KY DFW took the body and asked to keep it out of the news. I had a pic of the cat in the trunk of the trooper car but was asked by KSP not to post it. If you really want to verify the report, I can introduce you to the KSP official who gave me the pic. He is retired now but lives in the area. He also used to see them on his farm in Rowan Co but has since moved to a new home. There were numerous eye witnesses to this one.

As for those who decry the lack of cell phone pics, etc., you have obviously never seen on of these creatures and witnessed their speed and agility. In all my life, I have never seen a living thing that could jump as far in one leap as a Mtn Lion. Both of my personal sightings were from the seat of dirt bikes in the 70's and 80's and pre-dated cell phones and even digital cameras. Plus, they move so fast and disappear so suddenly, that it is near impossible to have time to get a pic unless you were sitting holding the camera at the ready as just the right time. Trail cams are the best bet but the coverage of those is miniscule.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Keep your dogs & smaller livestock safe. A few years ago my sister had multiple encounters with a Mtn Lion believed to be a female with cubs den'ed up on her farm. It came down to her back yard twice and engaged with her gaggle of Chocolate Lab's. She had about 10 adult dogs at the time and in the first encounter, the cat killed her 120lb male lab. Opened him up like it had a razor. about a week later, it returned and injured two of her other adult Labs. A 110lb male and an 80lb female. Both survived but with serious cuts and gashes. A single 90lb dog is no match for one if these. About one month later she saw it one last time while hiking her farm with hubby. This was all in Floyd Co over near Betsy Layne. Her farm had a large 65hd herd of Elk on it at the time. I lose track of time but this was about 2014 or 2015 I think. It was since I moved back to KY in 2013 cause I was wanting to hunt it but it disappeared before we ever got a hunt organized.

As for the KSP cat in Fleming Co, it was at about the same time but was a male Mtn Lion shot by a KSP trooper in his back yard. His dogs had it treed in an apple tree as he was about to go on duty. Killed it with his service pistol. Body was transported to the Morehead Post but no official report was filed. KY DFW took the body and asked to keep it out of the news. I had a pic of the cat in the trunk of the trooper car but was asked by KSP not to post it. If you really want to verify the report, I can introduce you to the KSP official who gave me the pic. He is retired now but lives in the area. He also used to see them on his farm in Rowan Co but has since moved to a new home. There were numerous eye witnesses to this one.

As for those who decry the lack of cell phone pics, etc., you have obviously never seen on of these creatures and witnessed their speed and agility. In all my life, I have never seen a living thing that could jump as far in one leap as a Mtn Lion. Both of my personal sightings were from the seat of dirt bikes in the 70's and 80's and pre-dated cell phones and even digital cameras. Plus, they move so fast and disappear so suddenly, that it is near impossible to have time to get a pic unless you were sitting holding the camera at the ready as just the right time. Trail cams are the best bet but the coverage of those is miniscule.
The OP is a liar and posted a picture of bear from Out west claiming it was in his backyard. I’m not gonna call anyone in rural eastern Kentucky a liar if they think they saw a mountain lion or in your case actually had an encounter like that however the OP is from Bourbon CountyAnd the only mountain lions that would be there would be escapees from some rich assholes personal collection/zoo

Last edited:

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
The OP is a liar and posted a picture of bear from Out west claiming it was in his backyard. I’m not gonna call anyone in rural eastern Kentucky a liar if they think they saw a mountain lion or in your case actually had an encounter like that however the OP is from Bourbon CountyAnd the only mountain lions that would be there would be escapees from some rich assholes personal collection/zoo
Statewide. State law.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I found this Cat in a pine tree by my mailbox a few days ago.

Sorry, i got confused....this was actually in a pine tree out in Colorado....and it was by my Friends- Friend by his mailbox.
But. I DO have a Pine Tree by my mailbox...just no mountain lion in it...Yet.
Badass picture. One day when I get the time, Imma hire me a good houndsman and shoot one out with a longbow. I have the money set back for it, just ain't had the time. One day tho, I swear to God I'm doin it.
Soon as I saw that picture, I was picturing where I'd aim. I figure just between the teeth on that one

Latest posts