HELP ... super tight screw needs to come OUT!

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by KYote-Krusher, Jan 13, 2022.

1. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    Wellll .... poo! I managed to "screw" it up. :(

Tried heat first then my little impact gun with no results so I got out the impact driver and even ground the correct screwdriver head to better fit the slot and when I hit it, the damn screw did come loose BUT I had to hit it so hard to get it to turn, that the thin wood rebounded upward past the retaining fitting and cracked the fore-end in two places. :mad:

20220113_105238 resized (2).jpg

It's not the end of the world and I can glue the cracks back together where you'll have to look pretty hard to see it but I wish it hadn't been so tight. I may be wrong but I don't think it's ever been torn down and cleaned before, in other words, that may have been a factory tight screw that was tighter than usual because it sat so long. No sign of Lock-tite or any kind of glue on the threads. Putting it back into the threads on the barrel, it tightens up real tight, real quick so ... who knows.

Anyway, it sure needs to be cleaned, I don't see how it was working at all considering how nasty it is everywhere inside the gun. The barrel looks real good though and I can't see any sign of damage to the muzzle.

Really appreciate the help and all the ideas, it had to be done and I'll bet it will turn out to be a dandy little .22. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    barney likes this.
  2. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    you can sand a little into the wood and mix some of the fine shavings with your glue in the crack area. It will make the wood stainable. Then hit it with some tru oil. Ive had to repair a few gun stocks. Ive lost cracks I knew were there after doing that.

Also you can still find replacements. eBay has two on there. I’m willing to spend more than most on guns I like. I keep spare stocks for a couple Ithaca’s and old Wingmasters just in case. Lol.

FOWLER2671 and KYote-Krusher like this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I dont see lock tite, wow

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’m not sure ,without looking,but I’d try to glue the wood from the inside if it cracked all the way through ,with a good wood glue.Then try filling up the finish with ca glue and fine sand and blend it together .I done this on a guitar that I refurbished,it turned out pretty good,I used titebond for the wood and ca glue for the finish.I would try the ca glue on a small place ,to see that it don’t harm it first.Just a thought

KYote-Krusher, Little FR and barney like this.
  5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    They are great guns.

KYote-Krusher likes this.
  6. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

Thanks DC, already got her glued up, wrapped rubber bands around it and clamped one spot to make it line up a little better. I'll let it dry out the full 24 hours before I take it loose and check the finish.

20220113_204041resized (2) 3.jpg

If I had it to do over again, I would use your suggestion to tape it up ... not only to protect the finish but really tape it down tight so it couldn't jump up when it's hit with the impact driver. Even so, as hard as I had to hit it, I'm not sure that would entirely keep it from rebounding enough to crack it some; it's pretty thin right there.

Anyway, what really counts is how it shoots and I'll be happy to get it back together to see how good I can get with it. Maybe all the ideas and suggestions will help someone else down the line with a similar problem.

Thanks again everybody. :)

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The silver lining is now you won’t get so tore up when you scratch or ding it when you’re out hunting.

8. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    Got it all back together and the glue job turned out so-so, I'll stain those light spots someday if it really gets to bothering me. BUT, in the meantime, I hopped in the "way-back" machine and found a couple of boxes of ammo that the thieves must have missed when they stole all my other guns. Put them in the magazine in alternating order, 8 of each one, went outside and just as fast as I could pull the trigger, all 16 of them fired.

20220114_122908 resize (2).jpg

I'll shoot for effect the first chance I get but for right now ...
    I'm a happy camper!! :D:D:D